Red Sea Max Owners Club

Hey new RSM 130 (not 130D :-/) owner. Filling the tank today. Was going to go with 50lbs of LR to start any suggestions.

Well this is what around 40 lbs (maybe more) of rock looks like inside tank.

Last edited:
Why the fish and coral so fast?

No Amm nitrate nitrite phosphate levels for 2 weeks... and perhaps I just wanted something to look at. The fish was to test to see if the water would cycle.

I do however have a bad Green hair outbreak.

18458_670662974022_16114327_38111512_2532841_n.jpg

Also I saw a post with a custom fuge/skimmer setup from lifereef.com Looked pretty sweet.

Too much flow for sea hare

Too much flow for sea hare

Hello all, do I get home from work and my sea hare is in a ball at the top of the tank hiding in a corner on the glass. So I turn off the flow and test the SPF and chem. Still no readings. But he's now on the rocks since the flow was turned off. Right now I have on pump going any suggestions. I recently hanged the dirctions to stir the top of the tank and to blow across the top of my lr.

ok so i set up the tank, loving everything about it except for two things...

the hood is making a lot of noise, i think its the fan, i see it moving so it does work its just really loud and it does not sound normal. any idea?? also one of the power the heads (the right one) is not releasing any flow. the left is the only one working. what can i do? any input will be greatly appreciated

The fan in the hood will start to get loud eventually and needs replacement over time. The fan in my hood started to go after about a year and a half of use, just contact pinky at redsea and she will be able to help you get a replacement for it.

As for the return pump, check to make sure that all of the air is out of the pump, (usually when filling a new tank or changing water, air will get inside the pumps and prevent them from working)

What I normally do is I either point the directional nozzle in its most upward position to let water flow into the pump, or if there is alot of air in the pump I will remove the lockline (the directional tubing on the pump, that sits inside the display tank, that allows direction of flow) once the lockline is removed I will tilt the pump upward and let it fill with water that way, by placing my hand on the back side of the pump and pulling it out of the glass hole a little.

This usually get the pumps working again.

If you have already done this, and the pump is still not working, once again contact pinky at red sea's customer service department and she will be able to help you out.

This was an after thought, but if the tank was sitting around for a while (long enough to completely dry) it would prob be best if you removed all of the pumps and run them in a sink or bucket filled with hot water and some white vinager. This will help to remove all of the calcium deposits from the pumps, thus making them work as they should.

(not too sure of your saltwater experience, but you may or may not already know this)

I just pulled a RSM 130 out of the storage unit. It had been in there for about 6 or 7 years. Then I spent a few frustrating hours pulling all the sticky tape off of the stand pieces as I built it lol. I will post pics later as I hope to get it filled with rock and water tonight before I fly to Denver in the morning for Reefstock:bounce2:

Finished setting it up.....

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2
Looking for any help with pump selection on the RedSea Max 130d for a 1/8 chiller (Teco TR-10). I have the stock 130d skimmer and need to find a good pump that has enough gph flow for the chiller and yet still fit in that pocket to the left of the skimmer. Any feedback on your experience and pump models would really help guide me in my chiller pump setup, thanks, Fantatsic4

I need to replace the fine filter pads. Can I find something to use at Home depot or should i just buy them online. Thanks.

look for the "cut to size" (blue and white) filter pad at petco or petsmart. (I think it comes in a 3' by 2' sheet) it works just like the original stuff and is alot cheaper.

Bad bulb Socket

Bad bulb Socket

Hello,
I appear to have a bad Bulb socket. When I apply pressure on the bulb or the socket the bulb comes on and works fine. I first try to swap out the bulb and put a new one in. No change. Contacted RSM and they are nice enough to be sending me a replacement socket. But does anyone have any ideas?

If I do have to change has anyone ever done it. It appears I can actually get to the socket as it only held on with two screws. and it the front socket.

any Advice would be appreciated.

red sea max

red sea max

If it is any help, I have used a eheim compact 1000 pump to run a Teco TR10 chiller on my max and it fits perfectly. Cheers Scott :D

Hello. I used to own the original 34g RSM. Sold it last year, moved to Seattle, got a job, now moving to Kirkland, WA to a house that may just let me keep a tank. Could anyone in the club enlighten me (Send PM please?) on how their RSM 130D / 250 is treating them or what the buzz is on the 500?

I had kept a 34g RSM and a 55g mash up of tank/equipment and honestly the RSM was soooo smooth and easy to maintain despite its original bumps that Pinky was always so helpful with to assist me in smoothing over, I feel when I get back into this I want to go just RSM and leave the hassle of constructing a tank behind. I have a new arcade box I am building and other projects that will keep me too busy :)

Thanks, and also thanks for members who have posted pictures in other threads I've been reading them and they are gorgeous!

Back