Reducing nitrates

schryvertime

So I have pretty high nitrates and I want to lower them. I know why my nitrates and have fixed the problem. My skimmer wasn't performing right, I was over feeding, and I had bio media....I'm a real triple threat. I've cut my feeding in half. Removed all bio media and have fixed my skimmer and it's working better than ever (i am also skimming wet if it makes any difference). I believe that nitrates are running at 40ppm but it has been stable. My tank is a 60g and read that take 30% off due to water displacement of rock and sand so let's say I have 42g of actual water. I've doing 5g water changes ever 7 days but the nitrates aren't dropping. I've also read conflicting ways to do large water changes to reduce nitrates. One says to make 20g clean water then dilute 10g of tank water into the clean. Mix 10g of that back into the tank and repeat 3-4 times then dump all of the left over water and start all over again. Then another person said to do a 20-40% water change of clean saltwater...no mixing back and forth at all.....what should I do for the best results.

Oh I have also added a 450 powerhead. I have been running a 600 powerhead. So I am running both now. The 450 has been running for a week.

Trites 0ppm
Ph. 8.2
Sg 1.024
Temp is 81°

Best way to replace the maximum amount of water is take all the water out, thorw away and replace with newly mixed salt water. Make sure you are using RODI.
Good luck

A less drastic, but still good approach, is to do several 50% water changes over the course of several days.

I would do several large water changes consecutively. That's what I'm doing currwntly, but
My tank was crashed by a horrible tank sitter. So my tank situation is more
Complicated. But yeah, do multiple large(50+%) water changes for several days and then retest. That's the best way to restart the system

I would do several large water changes consecutively. That's what I'm doing currwntly, but
My tank was crashed by a horrible tank sitter. So my tank situation is more
Complicated. But yeah, do multiple large(50+%) water changes for several days and then retest. That's the best way to restart the system
It's hard finding someone to take care of it while you are gone. Hopefully yours recovers easily. What do you consider large changes? 50%?

Water changes will help on an immediate basis to temporarily reduce nitrates but does little to mitigate the creation of the NO3 in your tank. I would suggest you limit feelings to start and begin researching how to either create less NO3 or export nutes more efficiently. I am terrible at feeding control and struggled at the 30-40ppm NO3 level with little success for months of water changes until I incorporated an algae turf scrubber into my system. There is some great info on an ATS in the advanced forum. Good luck.

Water changes will help on an immediate basis to temporarily reduce nitrates but does little to mitigate the creation of the NO3 in your tank. I would suggest you limit feelings to start and begin researching how to either create less NO3 or export nutes more efficiently. I am terrible at feeding control and struggled at the 30-40ppm NO3 level with little success for months of water changes until I incorporated an algae turf scrubber into my system. There is some great info on an ATS in the advanced forum. Good luck.
Thanks. I have heard this advice in the past few weeks and instantly cut my feedings in half. I think I know of where the creation of NO3 was coming from and wrote about to start the thread...am I wrong in thinking that this is what caused the spike? For a solid 8 months I had very little nitrates and that is when I became very lackadaisical on my husbandry of the tank. I was under belief that this is why I am experiencing high nitrates now.

There are so many ways to reduce nitrates. A refugium, reactor, DSB, carbon dosing...
I have a refugium that is equal to 25% of my DT water and a DSB that is the same 25% with 8" if fine sand. I've had almost zero nitrates for a long time.

There are so many ways to reduce nitrates. A refugium, reactor, DSB, carbon dosing...
I have a refugium that is equal to 25% of my DT water and a DSB that is the same 25% with 8" if fine sand. I've had almost zero nitrates for a long time.

I have looked at a HOB refugium. I am limited on space and am not running a sump. The questions that i have about a refugium especially a HOB one is providing light to it. All in all i do not have a lot of room so no matter what equipment i get it will have to be a HOB

Been carbon dosing and feeding like crazy with nitrates undetectable. Something to look into, might be a viable solution. I use vinegar, no side effects.

I'm a fan of carbon dosing combined with every-other-day water changes. Vinegar will drop things quick if they aren't out of control. I dropped my nitrate/ phosphate numbers from 25-30/ .25 down to 5/ .03 in the span of about a week and a half. My skimmer went wild but everything seems happier now.

Been carbon dosing and feeding like crazy with nitrates undetectable. Something to look into, might be a viable solution. I use vinegar, no side effects.

man have i been researching this as well. I have read all about vodka, sugar, and vinegar. Do you use white vinegar? I also am running a CPR Bak-PAk 2. It is rated as a 60g skimmer. My tank is 60g, i know that i should have went bigger but it does a good job at skimming when i have it running correctly. The thing that everyone says about dosing with this stuff is a great skimmer. Do you think my will be efficient enough to do this?

I'm a fan of carbon dosing combined with every-other-day water changes. Vinegar will drop things quick if they aren't out of control. I dropped my nitrate/ phosphate numbers from 25-30/ .25 down to 5/ .03 in the span of about a week and a half. My skimmer went wild but everything seems happier now.

how many ML of vinegar are you using?

Don't dose anything to try and fix a nitrate problem, I wouldn't do water changes either. Get some Sera Siprorax to add to your tank (one liter will do) your nitrate problem will be gone

man have i been researching this as well. I have read all about vodka, sugar, and vinegar. Do you use white vinegar? I also am running a CPR Bak-PAk 2. It is rated as a 60g skimmer. My tank is 60g, i know that i should have went bigger but it does a good job at skimming when i have it running correctly. The thing that everyone says about dosing with this stuff is a great skimmer. Do you think my will be efficient enough to do this?
Well you ideally want a skimmer rated for twice or three times your water volume but if you were to direct your drain line to inlet of the skimmer it would work. Your skimmer will be working overtime until there isn't as much junk to skim. Just skim a little more on the wet side. And if you have a sump dose vinegar in the sump not the display. Also use some kind of phosphate media.

Well you ideally want a skimmer rated for twice or three times your water volume but if you were to direct your drain line to inlet of the skimmer it would work. Your skimmer will be working overtime until there isn't as much junk to skim. Just skim a little more on the wet side. And if you have a sump dose vinegar in the sump not the display. Also use some kind of phosphate media.

is the poshpate media a requirement to dose? I do not have a sump either :( no room for one with this tank and stand. Sorry for my ignorance on all of this but want to make sure i understand everything before i dose anything. What do you mean by direct your drain line to the inlet? What drain line?

Don't dose anything to try and fix a nitrate problem, I wouldn't do water changes either. Get some Sera Siprorax to add to your tank (one liter will do) your nitrate problem will be gone
Would I add the sea siporax to the side of the skimmer where it returns?
Where the blue bio media is?

uploadfromtaptalk1450271023216.jpg

is the poshpate media a requirement to dose? I do not have a sump either :( no room for one with this tank and stand. Sorry for my ignorance on all of this but want to make sure i understand everything before i dose anything. What do you mean by direct your drain line to the inlet? What drain line?
This won't be ideal for you, you require a sump. My setup is 100 gallons overflowing to sump in first chamber where skimmer pump is located leading to an external skimmer (rated for 300 gallons) then skimmer dumps into second chamber where water runs through gfo and activated carbon then last chamber return to display. I dose vinegar in my overflow box so I don't get that white film in my display and the vinegar gets to dilute before being returned to display.

This won't be ideal for you, you require a sump. My setup is 100 gallons overflowing to sump in first chamber where skimmer pump is located leading to an external skimmer (rated for 300 gallons) then skimmer dumps into second chamber where water runs through gfo and activated carbon then last chamber return to display. I dose vinegar in my overflow box so I don't get that white film in my display and the vinegar gets to dilute before being returned to display.
So the sera siporax is the way to go?

Back