Reef Octopus "POV" PRO-SSS-DC1 thoughts?

Yeah but a MSX200 with a bb3000 is an incredible skimmer. Are you running the bubble plate on the 200? This will be a great comparison.

I never have been a fan of the space saver models. I always thought they sacrificed way too much contact time for space saving. I know people have to deal with what they have so the sss models are great when you didn't plan things out so well or set up the tank back when you thought a Coralife super skimmer 220 was overkill for your 100g.

That said these models look great. Can't wait to see the results.

did you remove your bubble plate on your msx200?

i paired an octo xtreme 200(same full size body as the MSX200) with a BB3000 pump, but i removed the bubble plate.

Nope, I sold that POS and went with the rlss 6i and have been pleased so far. Started having problems with it and put it up on ebay awhile back.

Nope, I sold that POS and went with the rlss 6i and have been pleased so far. Started having problems with it and put it up on ebay awhile back.

Sorry to hear that. Still running strong here for over a year. I have hardly any algae growing on my rocks, it seems to just get film on the glass.

Sorry to hear that. Still running strong here for over a year. I have hardly any algae growing on my rocks, it seems to just get film on the glass.

I liked the design and concept, but I found it too loud and unlike the rlss 6i it took much longer to break in. The rlss is not perfect though. The pump had rust developing on it which was taken care of promptly.

To Russ's credit he did try and help. I won't write off reef octopus due to this experience though.

Have my POV 1 running for about a year now. A few minor issues resolved by RO, otherwise working fine on a 90 gal (system), heavily stocked 10 year old mixed reef. It is very quiet once I modded the air intake muffler. Routine stripped down cleaning is a bit fussy given the design, but minimal footprint is the tradeoff. I find the speed control useful for when I've shut down the circulation pump and have a high level in the sump, just turning it down to 2 so as not to loose the accumulated detritus. Then just dial it back up when in normal operation. For me, it runs best in a steady 8" of water at power level 5

Could you please tell me if you noticed any rise in temperature running this skimmer? I was told that DC pumps put less heat out. My water temp is already running at 80.5 without an in sump skimmer with pump. Thanks!

Could you please tell me if you noticed any rise in temperature running this skimmer? I was told that DC pumps put less heat out. My water temp is already running at 80.5 without an in sump skimmer with pump. Thanks!

Depends where the tank is, mine was in the basement and i needed two 150W heaters just to keep it at 79 degrees. So I would say it prob. gives off minimal heat considering it only generated 25W of power.

I really question the need for these DC variable speed pumps in protein skimmers nowadays. To me this is just another gimmick the skimmer manufacturers are coming out with in order to have those that want the latest and greatest sell theirs and buy a DC pump version.

I would be very interested to know how many Diablo users, or any other variable speed skimmer pump users actually use their DC skimmer pump at anything but one speed all the time in normal operation?

Use the feed mode button, OK, but I have a feed mode on my controller, so I have that covered. Need to turn the flow down a bit for a while, a ball valve does that as well. Rising sump level, well I have a float switch in my sump that turns the skimmer pump off if the skimmer section water level gets too high

The DC skimmer pump craze really seems more of a manufacturer driven thing with no real benefits, except a higher price and something else to go wrong.

Skimmers operate on the principle of a steady, regular flow rate, and DC pumps seem an unnecessary complication with no real application in a skimmer setup. You adjust skimmers via water column height and/or the amount of air entering the skimmer. As these DC pumps only have a few preset speeds, they are not even continuously adjustable, and you could do better adjusting pump flow with a gate or ball valve in the first place.

I am not commenting on their reliability or perhaps their application in a sump return pump situation, just in their use in protein skimmers.

Last edited:
Well said!
I don't understand why more people don't see this.

I really question the need for these DC variable speed pumps in protein skimmers nowadays. To me this is just another gimmick the skimmer manufacturers are coming out with in order to have those that want the latest and greatest sell theirs and buy a DC pump version.

I would be very interested to know how many Diablo users, or any other variable speed skimmer pump users actually use their DC skimmer pump at anything but one speed all the time in normal operation?

Use the feed mode button, OK, but I have a feed mode on my controller, so I have that covered. Need to turn the flow down a bit for a while, a ball valve does that as well. Rising sump level, well I have a float switch in my sump that turns the skimmer pump off if the skimmer section water level gets too high

The DC skimmer pump craze really seems more of a manufacturer driven thing with no real benefits, except a higher price and something else to go wrong.

Skimmers operate on the principle of a steady, regular flow rate, and DC pumps seem an unnecessary complication with no real application in a skimmer setup. You adjust skimmers via water column height and/or the amount of air entering the skimmer. As theses DC pumps only have a few preset speeds, they are not even continuously adjustable, and you could do better adjusting pump flow with a gate or ball valve in the first place.

I am not commenting on their reliability or perhaps their application in a sump return pump situation, just in their use in protein skimmers.

Skimmers operate on the principle of a steady, regular flow rate, and DC pumps seem an unnecessary complication with no real application in a skimmer setup. You adjust skimmers via water column height and/or the amount of air entering the skimmer. As these DC pumps only have a few preset speeds, they are not even continuously adjustable, and you could do better adjusting pump flow with a gate or ball valve in the first place.

Well said!
I don't understand why more people don't see this.

The power levels on the pump may rarely change, but the wattage on the pumps is quite a bit lower then most comparable a/c skimmers. The feed option is nice to, not everyone has a controller and if they do why waste an outlet putting the skimmer in it. TBH i have tried at least 6 skimmers in my time and I was really happy with the performance of this one, DC pump aside.

Well, problem returns and I'd have to say that there is a quality issue here. My skimmer body cracked in multiple places just under the collection cup flange. RO replaced it. It was about 6 months old at that point. Just noticed while servicing a spider web of cracks again just under the ring. RO had suggested I lubricate the ring with silicon, which I had done. However, that would have little to do with the interference fit or the strength of the materials involved. One or both...poor material or poor fit. I appreciate that RO has stood behind their product but disappointed with a repeat failure and will consider a different product line when this skimmer ceases to function.

Hi ppl, just bought one (dc2) and I do not know how to Initialize it, ie, where the valve should stay in the beginning and what will be the starting speed. Water level stays in the middle line of output pipe while unit turned off. I appreciate if someone directs me..

I guess not much people are currently using Pov skimmers, I put it in 8 inches of water running at 4th speed level, the only noise coming is some consistently coming blob sound. Not disturbing, but an extra noise, do not know if it indicates a problem..

I have a DC1 running on my 200 gallon reef system and it has been running flawlessly since installed. No complaints here, has been a very reliable and high performance skimmer. If anyone has a DC2 for sale I would take it off of their hands too for another tank of mine.

well 2 years and the pump went dead on me last night. Been looking high and low for same pump. Can't believe it's going to cost me about 300+ for same pump that will fit in this skimmer.

Will be switching to lifereef now on my big tank.

See my post on 7/26/14. My POV-1 is finally approaching terminal though I have no idea what is going on; likely the pump isn't achieving it's rated speeds. Thorough cleaning and careful reassembly net nothing different. The body is quite cracked below the ring and leaks, though that doesn't in itself detract from performance. The ring above is completely cracked as it was too tight of an interference fit. In the end, I have to judge this as poor quality and I'll opt for a different brand. For clarity, not my first rodeo and just this 90g reef has been running for near ten years. Not a beginner by any stretch of the imagination and not an operator problem.

I'm not sure how many people are still running this skimmer, but I've own it since it was released. I never been happy with it but it did cost $600.00 so i stuck with it. The main problem i ran into was the pump would start chugging air insteaf of a steady flow, so i had to open the vaule almost all the way and it never really produced very much skimate.

Last night i noticed there wasn't any bubbles in the body and the lights on the controller were flashing. At this point ai figured damn the pump died. I looked at my vortech power supply and they happened to be the same amp and voltage so I plugged one of the in and the light came back on brighter than ever. I looked at the skimmer and it's never even came close to how m7ch bubbles its putting through the body. It instantly started making skimate and no more chugging.

I beleive I have had a crap power supply the enitire time I've owned this thing. It's looks like a real beast now l. If anyone is having the chugging I'd try a new power supply, it made a world of difference.

I'm not sure how many people are still running this skimmer, but I've own it since it was released. I never been happy with it but it did cost $600.00 so i stuck with it. The main problem i ran into was the pump would start chugging air insteaf of a steady flow, so i had to open the vaule almost all the way and it never really produced very much skimate.

Last night i noticed there wasn't any bubbles in the body and the lights on the controller were flashing. At this point ai figured damn the pump died. I looked at my vortech power supply and they happened to be the same amp and voltage so I plugged one of the in and the light came back on brighter than ever. I looked at the skimmer and it's never even came close to how m7ch bubbles its putting through the body. It instantly started making skimate and no more chugging.

I beleive I have had a crap power supply the enitire time I've owned this thing. It's looks like a real beast now l. If anyone is having the chugging I'd try a new power supply, it made a world of difference.

I've had one since I started my tank about 2 years ago. I had a lot of trouble for the first year or so with occasional chugging and random bubble levels.

At just under one year my pump died completely. I contacted CoralVue and they sent me their new upgraded pump along with a new Volute (not sure that's what the part is called - the clear cylindrical part at the bottom that the pump locks into) which fits the new pump. Basically it turns the DC1 into the newer Elite. Since then it has worked flawlessly. I now love the skimmer.

The upgrade is free under warranty, but I would assume if it's out of warranty they would sell it to someone who needs the upgrade.

I too purchased this skimmer when it was introduced. It worked well for a while then performance trailed off. The collar at the top of the volute broke as the fit was too tight. CV sent a replacement volute suggesting I lubricate the junction. But, the second failed similarly. It simply fits too tight. The acrylic is badly crazed now, but is still functional. I had to replace the pump as discussed below, but mine was out of warranty. CV gave me a price break, but still a $ adventure. The new parts worked well. I've found that one really needs to clean the pump frequently. It picks up trash from the bottom off the sump floor(I do have a filter at sump inlet) , and eventually, one gets build-up on the impeller shaft. I have excellent success running the motor 6 or so hours in 50% vinegar. It gets warm, but not excessive and assists the chemical cleaning process.

I've had one since I started my tank about 2 years ago. I had a lot of trouble for the first year or so with occasional chugging and random bubble levels.

At just under one year my pump died completely. I contacted CoralVue and they sent me their new upgraded pump along with a new Volute (not sure that's what the part is called - the clear cylindrical part at the bottom that the pump locks into) which fits the new pump. Basically it turns the DC1 into the newer Elite. Since then it has worked flawlessly. I now love the skimmer.

The upgrade is free under warranty, but I would assume if it's out of warranty they would sell it to someone who needs the upgrade.

Back