Reef Octopus "POV" PRO-SSS-DC1 thoughts?

That is one cool skimmer. The features are very impressive.

One concern I have looking at all the pictures, the output pipe that connects the base of the body to the gate valve is different lengths between each model.

My concern is all the ratings these companies are putting out and how real the numbers are concerning the gallons of tank they can handle. Point in case is this one PVO-Dc2 stating up to 400 gallons where the rlss of smilar size using the same pumps stating up to 528 or compare the model up from that on te same two companies 500 to over a 600 gallons. That is a big difference.

Honestly, it looks like the pump is a Chinese reverse engineered knock off of the Waveline DC pumps. Even the controller looks like a copy of RLSS's. It looks like another iteration of the DB10i with changes to the body to resemble an Omega. At some point I hope enough is enough and people stop buying Chinese knock off equipment. CoralVue should be ashamed IMO.

Honestly, it looks like the pump is a Chinese reverse engineered knock off of the Waveline DC pumps. Even the controller looks like a copy of RLSS's. It looks like another iteration of the DB10i with changes to the body to resemble an Omega. At some point I hope enough is enough and people stop buying Chinese knock off equipment. CoralVue should be ashamed IMO.

I did read somewhere that those are Waveline DC pumps. Here it is from ************

"For those not familiar with the integrated volute design, the volute cover of the pump has been replaced by the bubble diffuser a merge of two essential parts so to say. This achieves several things obviously water flow would be increased since there is no unnecessary parts blocking flow, and there is the benefit of less parts, not to mention that it looks cool. It is a great idea so we're excited that other companies are also catching up, and we wouldn't be surprised if Reef Octopus will not be the only company releasing new skimmers with an integrated volute design. The Reef Octopus POV skimmers will be available in three models the POV-DC1 which will rock a Waveline 3500 DC pump, the POV-DC2 which will rock a Waveline 5500 DC pump and the POV-DC3 which will also rock a Waveline 5500 DC pump. Respectively the skimmers will be rated for 200, 400, and 500 gallons. Pricing is unknown, but expect the skimmers to release early 2013."

That would make me feel better than another knockoff. I noticed it is labeled a Diablo DC Skimmer pump, no love for RLSS.

Just ordered the Reef Octopus POV-DC1. Should ship out Monday. For those following and interested I will get a full review up on it. I think I may be one of the first to get it.

We shall see. This is my current skimmer, so It has a lot to live up to :)

6962468033_6e049a8368_b.jpg

I got bit by the Tech bug on the new one and the fact that my current one barely fits in my sump with the upgraded pump. I should gain back some room with the new one.

Yeah but a MSX200 with a bb3000 is an incredible skimmer. Are you running the bubble plate on the 200? This will be a great comparison.

I never have been a fan of the space saver models. I always thought they sacrificed way too much contact time for space saving. I know people have to deal with what they have so the sss models are great when you didn't plan things out so well or set up the tank back when you thought a Coralife super skimmer 220 was overkill for your 100g.

That said these models look great. Can't wait to see the results.

Yeah but a MSX200 with a bb3000 is an incredible skimmer. Are you running the bubble plate on the 200? This will be a great comparison.

I never have been a fan of the space saver models. I always thought they sacrificed way too much contact time for space saving. I know people have to deal with what they have so the sss models are great when you didn't plan things out so well or set up the tank back when you thought a Coralife super skimmer 220 was overkill for your 100g.

That said these models look great. Can't wait to see the results.

I am using the bubble plate, the only mod i did to the skimmer was the BB3000 and the gate valve. The DC1 is not all that smaller than the MSX200 body wise, its just the fact that the pump is inside instead of outside the skimmer. I believe the DC1 pump wattage is 30W vs the BB3000 40W. So we shall see if the wine glass figure and DC pump was the right technology. Should have it by Friday.

That would make me feel better than another knockoff. I noticed it is labeled a Diablo DC Skimmer pump, no love for RLSS.

You don't like rlss? just curious as they are actually on my short list for a new 100 gallon tank I'm doing. 1. vertex omega, 2 atb 840 v2, 3. rlss r6. and maybe a reef dynamics if jeff explains the funky pipe design on it and let's me order just the body since I have a new eheim w/needle wheel pump.

Sirreal, the pumps are all the same, the idea is to call them something different for each brand. RLSS and Waveline are just as made up as Diablo, Skimz, Airstar DC or Red Dragon 3.

The company that builds them is likely called something chinese like honzen or shinzou.

Back