Reef Octopus "POV" PRO-SSS-DC1 thoughts?

LOL, skimmer has been actually doing great!

It's just not consistent , well see !

In all honesty the consistency may have to do with the low bioload. My old skimmer used to do that to, skim really good for a week and then nothing. If i did a water change it would take 3 days to get something decent in the cup again. Added some more fish and it skimmed regularly.

My fish bioload is 1 purple mask angel (eats like a pig), purple orchid, blue neon goby, starry blenny and a small green clown goby. All playing nice.

My last email to Jeremy I told him that I wanted to send it back. I took the skimmer apart because I thought I heard some grinding. It was just copepods in the pump, which I cleaned out. It didn't change much except that it starts the skimmate process all over again. Meaning that no foam build up like its almost new again skimmer.

Jonny, I can't leave it on power 6 unless I am at work. Gives me a migraine. I really need a quiet skimmer I mean quiet. If I shut the skimmer off my living room becomes enjoyable again. I don't have a very high noise tolerance that this skimmer makes.

My dc6000 return pump and my modified inlet from the external overflow box into my sump has helped with the noise. In other terms, you only hear a very slight waterfall/fine bubble noise. For an external overflow box its not bad. I also have 2x mp10's on purpose so I don't have to run one at full speed.

Like I said before at power 4 (3 is better), I can tolerate it past that I get aggravated.

Here is my video collection:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crimsonoa1/videos

My fish bioload is 1 purple mask angel (eats like a pig), purple orchid, blue neon goby, starry blenny and a small green clown goby. All playing nice.

My last email to Jeremy I told him that I wanted to send it back. I took the skimmer apart because I thought I heard some grinding. It was just copepods in the pump, which I cleaned out. It didn't change much except that it starts the skimmate process all over again. Meaning that no foam build up like its almost new again skimmer.

Jonny, I can't leave it on power 6 unless I am at work. Gives me a migraine. I really need a quiet skimmer I mean quiet. If I shut the skimmer off my living room becomes enjoyable again. I don't have a very high noise tolerance that this skimmer makes.

My dc6000 return pump and my modified inlet from the external overflow box into my sump has helped with the noise. In other terms, you only hear a very slight waterfall/fine bubble noise. For an external overflow box its not bad. I also have 2x mp10's on purpose so I don't have to run one at full speed.

Like I said before at power 4 (3 is better), I can tolerate it past that I get aggravated.

Here is my video collection:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crimsonoa1/videos

Ghetto tip #1

Get coffee can
Fill with cotton balls
Stick skimmer silencer is said coffee can submerged in cotton balls
sit in recliner
lift feet
Profit??

lol, give it a try i would like to see that thing run on 6 for a week to gauge the actual performance. We can work on making it quiet permanently after we know it performs.

Send it back Crimson! The noise these defective DC1's put off is insane, still can't believe how quite my living area is now. Was the first thing my girlfriend noticed when she got home this evening too.

Also, Jeremy never once told me they didn't have any DC1's available, only that replacement wasn't possible unless I sent mine in first (also said they would try to repair it before, potentially, replacing it).

Shouldn't have to ghetto up a $550 skimmer...or do all of this other nonsense to try and "fix" it. Also shouldn't have to run it on anything but the highest setting. Why buy a beast of a skimmer only to run it at 40%-50% of it's capacity because it is defective?

His last response : We do not have the same issues with the DC2 unless the water level is too high and causes the pump to choke on air. The DC2 may work if you can get your bioload up and would be willing to have you send in this skimmer clean and undamaged and give you credit towards a DC2 if you wished. After looking over your videos again I notice that the water level was pretty high. I would suggest running the skimmer so that pea size bubbles are generated at the point where the skimmer body attaches to the collection cup and the power setting at 5-6. This allows the max amount of air and water without causing back pressure on the pump. The neck should house the foam collumn and not the micro bubbles.

His last response : We do not have the same issues with the DC2 unless the water level is too high and causes the pump to choke on air. The DC2 may work if you can get your bioload up and would be willing to have you send in this skimmer clean and undamaged and give you credit towards a DC2 if you wished. After looking over your videos again I notice that the water level was pretty high. I would suggest running the skimmer so that pea size bubbles are generated at the point where the skimmer body attaches to the collection cup and the power setting at 5-6. This allows the max amount of air and water without causing back pressure on the pump. The neck should house the foam collumn and not the micro bubbles.

Uhh so you can spend more money? Yeah. It's already 1am est and I am still tweaking this skimmer. I had enough.

"Chug" eliminated!
I had my POV 1 cleaned and ready to pack but decided to speak with Jeremy again before shipping. We discussed these issues for a very long time and came up with a game plan. For now, I opted to re install the POV (my Sedra driven Euroreef works but is just plain old and clunky). Considering a few theories we discussed, I removed the egg crate and LOWERED the skimmer. For discussion purposes, point of reference for skimmer height I believe should be the water valve outlet. Mine now sits with the top edge just at the sump water line. (my water level is dead steady) After 18 hours, no sign of the chugging which I believe was caused by back pressure in the volute. I set power at 6 and the fine bubbles level with the cup mating ring. Given some time, I had to slightly lower the bubble column (open the valve) as the large bubbles/foam was too close to the top of the cup. I cannot induce a "chug" at this point.
Re air intake noise: it can be loud. I had made an effective muffler from a plastic pill bottle, barb screwed into the top, intake holes drilled into the bottom and cotton inside. Cotton serves as a particulate filter and you can add carbon if you like. I used the RO black rubber elbow (intended for cup drain) and simply fit this to the existing muffler and to the pill bottle. The KISS approach! (keep it simple stupid!) BTW, negligible effect to the bubble column.

Presently a nice and stable bubble column but limited skimmate. My cleaned skimmer needs to clear oils from my hands and re-season. Should take a couple days.

If something goes wrong at this point, I have a plan B test plan. However, current status is promising.

Re: sporadic cup overflow: I've only experienced this when some compound is added to the water such as red slime treatment or some types of coral affixing epoxy. In years past, I've had to run the overflow tube back to the sump, use filter carbon and just wait it out for sometimes 5-6 days before I could put the skimmer back to work. Of course, sump water level must be stable.

My "nichols worth" for now...

I still say there is a defect with our skimmers. What else explains why only 5 have issues when there are over 100 out there? Why can so many simply drop it in their sump and be good to go when we can't? No one has yet to explain that.

My new skimmer will be here shortly and the old is going out with the UPS driver!

The revised silencer is inbound. I called Jeremy and part of the problem isn't my fish bio load for this tank size but my tank is bit on the small side for this skimmer and possible that I would be equivalent to have 4 fish that are under 4" in a 120 gallon. He did say it the skimmer would really reduce the nutrient level in this tank. He suggested lowing the skimmer in the sump to have a water level of 7-7 1/2 in and on power 4-5.

I am only posting this because I noticed that most of you guys are in the 90-120 gallon range (which at one point I was too). So I guess I need to start a kickstarter to have a bigger tank :)

I will try out the new silencer if it does not work I will take it from there.

Funny, during my three month ordeal he always insisted in having it less water and said too high of water level was bad and possibly the cause. Now it is the other way around...

My tank is a 60g Cube with a ~15g sump, plenty of fish with a good bio load.

Funny, during my three month ordeal he always insisted in having it less water and said too high of water level was bad and possibly the cause. Now it is the other way around...

Sigh. Guess we will see.

How many fish and what kind do you have in the 60g cube?

For clarity, lowering the skimmer was my thought. As have you, I had increasingly raised it which had no effect in any way. So, after 9 weeks of trying, perhaps some progress. We shall see. Just fed the corals so the skimmer will be down for some hours.

Four year old pair of black and white clowns, geometric pygmy perchlet, long nose hawk and a flame angel. Also have an army of snails, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, massive mini maxi anemone, RBTA anemone and a porcelain crab.

After having my skimmer cleaned In a vinegar bath for a few hours, was about to get it ready to ship out, and re-installed it back into my sump.

I had no bio-load for the past month, in which my first 2 clown fish were introduced last week, along with my CUC

Ever since then, it's been skimming all most perfect. Tonight, before putting it back in the sump, I slowed the speed to level 5 from 6, raised it 1/2" higher, and it's been working perfect.

It's actually been working perfect, since adding something to skim last week.

So to check; I lowered the skimmer back to deep again, to 7" deep water, and anything past level 4 was chugging, meaning, which I expected, not enough air , to much water

Raised it 1/2" to sit in 6-1/2" water,, same level, worked perfect

So at this point, I have to blame myself, no bio-load, nothing to skim all this time, and not setting it up correctly.

So for now, this skimmer isn't going anywhere. I love the skimmer, the design, being able to control it's speed, and to the person who keeps saying run it on level 6, because the variable speed is use less, is in correct, the variable speed is everything, it came in use, going from level 4-6 and back to now level 5 is what I'm running it with. Little bio load

<snip>

So for now, this skimmer isn't going anywhere. I love the skimmer, the design, being able to control it's speed, and to the person who keeps saying run it on level 6, because the variable speed is use less, is in correct, the variable speed is everything, it came in use, going from level 4-6 and back to now level 5 is what I'm running it with. Little bio load

I am on power level 2-3 until the replacement silencer or muffler comes in. Past that and it gets on my nerves. When the new silencer/muffler comes in I will let you know how it works out. Even on power level 2 seems to be loud.

I quit playing/tweaking/adjusting whatever with the skimmer and will wait for the part.

Not sure if posting my options is a good idea or not:

Best case: Silencer/muffler is awesome an fixes my issues then I keep it. All is well :)

Middle of the road: Part does not fix the issue however, Jeremy finds a way for me to return it to him without the org box (I trashed it by mistake). I will continue to purchase coralvue products (I do own the razor max 160 led 10k which is very nice). I buy a different skimmer (see below on brand).

Worst case: Tells me I am on my own (to be fair he did say that he would help me figure something out), I will try to sell it for a reduced price to someone who has more noise tolerance than I. Question to buy another coralvue product. I won't say no, but I would pause before buying it. Buy another skimmer most likely aquamaxx co-1 or the rlss 6i.

Yea usually high exterior water levels can back pressure the skimmer effluent/body causing almost the same symptoms minus chugging. Think about it; higher water level outside the skimmer is water head pressure the skimmer effluent has to push against. Conceivably it could try to escape the skimmer body and build a level in the in it until that head (level) pressure overcomes the pressure in the sump or on the outlet. Make sense?

It gets complicated with POVs because the higher level in the sump may put head pressure on the pump. Which actually helps a cavitating centrifugal pump, no telling with a pin wheel that hypothetically produces little or no discharge pressure. That's what may make this whole design and troubleshooting complicated to troubleshoot. And we aren't even getting into npsh ill let you look that up its another variable with pumps.

I hope I've severely confused all involved. You engineers can correct me if I misstated
Anything. I worked with all types of pumps for 10 years in a drastically different setting.

Yea usually high exterior water levels can back pressure the skimmer effluent/body causing almost the same symptoms minus chugging. Think about it; higher water level outside the skimmer is water head pressure the skimmer effluent has to push against. Conceivably it could try to escape the skimmer body and build a level in the in it until that head (level) pressure overcomes the pressure in the sump or on the outlet. Make sense?

It gets complicated with POVs because the higher level in the sump may put head pressure on the pump. Which actually helps a cavitating centrifugal pump, no telling with a pin wheel that hypothetically produces little or no discharge pressure. That's what may make this whole design and troubleshooting complicated to troubleshoot. And we aren't even getting into npsh ill let you look that up its another variable with pumps.

I hope I've severely confused all involved. You engineers can correct me if I misstated
Anything. I worked with all types of pumps for 10 years in a drastically different setting.

Jeremy did tell me about the back pressure. He also said because my tank size is on the smaller side for this skimmer I can get away with the pov-dc1 not being as "efficient" as designed. It was suggested I try 7-7.5in water level. However, now I am getting more air noise from the silencer.

Well from a noise perspective you gotta remember we ostensibly bought this skimmer for performance. The skimmer industry judges their products to some degree by air to water ratio(more air>water, normally). So if ur up around 1300-1500 LPh it's gonna his bro. The only difference in BKs( can only speak to the mini)skimmer and this in my direct experience is
-POVs pull more air
- BKs at least "used" to put a very fine sponge in the silencer

Well from a noise perspective you gotta remember we ostensibly bought this skimmer for performance. The skimmer industry judges their products to some degree by air to water ratio(more air>water, normally). So if ur up around 1300-1500 LPh it's gonna his bro. The only difference in BKs( can only speak to the mini)skimmer and this in my direct experience is
-POVs pull more air
- BKs at least "used" to put a very fine sponge in the silencer

Yes, but I wasn't looking for this skimmer. Scott from aquarium specialty recommend this skimmer because my first choice was the aquamaxx cone s co-1 which was not in stock.. Granted, it was overall my decision to buy the pov-dc1. My old 90 gallon reef was in my basement noise wasn't as big of a concern. Now I am looking for quiet.

It's 1am again and I just put some pvc pipe over the silencer which helped a little. At this point I don't think the part will change much.

Last edited:
Yeah then I can understand that more. On a crazy note I had a Beckett that killed me noise wise. Now if and only if your tank abuts an interior wall you can install an air nipple in the drywall and suck from that huge void space and you'd never hear it. ( huge disclaimer the may be dust dirt anything in there so you have to be sure). Solution two, less crazy, but a 2" pvc pipe. Cut it to a foot. Cap one end drill a hole in cap. fill it with a loufa spongish material or even act carbon pellets in a filter bag. Crank it to 6 and itll run. Either the crazy solution or that one will work. Just don't suck anything into the Venturi.

Back