Reef Saver Dry Live Rock Question

Steelerfan101

Hello, I'm setting up a 30 gallon reef tank using an old tank I had a few ears back. I plan on getting reef saver dry rock from BRS. I plan on using Dr. Tims one and only for cycling the tank as I did last time with the tank and had great success. Only question is how to cure this rock. Can I simply wash the rock with water to get dust and loose rocks clean, then place in tank to cycle? I know with their other dry rock there are dead organic materials that will cause a lot of ammonia. With the reef saver will this be a problem if I simply give it a good rinse in some DI water and then place it in the tank with Dr. times one and only? Or will this cause phosphate or nitrate problems down the road? Also they recommend 1lb per gallon, I tend to like less rock in tanks and more spacious swimming and cave areas for fish, how many pounds would y'all recommend for a 30 gallon tank? Thanks.

I am not a fan of this rock. It is not porous enough to harbor enough of the bacteria you need. This is especially true if you want to use minimal rock. I would spend a little more and get some LR that is less dense.

Skip that stuff. Get some good pukani if you want to go the dry route. Ask BRS for small pieces and you will only need 10-15 pounds for a 30g tank.

If going the dry route PLEASE take your time, research and do it right. You will seriously regret it down the road if you don't.

I started my current tank with all dry rock. It is a mix of Pukani, Fiji and Tonga branch all from BRS. I pressure washed all of it and picked off any visible dead matter. I then cured it in the tank with a skimmer for over 3 months. I added MicroBacter7 for the first couple weeks so I could get a good bacteria population going. Once that was finished I added some chaeto from an established reef. That brought in pods, bacteria and more filtration to continue soaking up the nutrients.

Dry rock requires a lot of time and patience in my experience. If you can find a source for good, CLEAN live rock then go that route IMO. I don't trust a lot of the LFS around me so that is why I chose dry rock for my setup.

Opposite experience for me..
The dry rock I purchased was clean, required no curing,etc..
Got mine from reefrocks.net.. If steve is still around its hard to beat that..
reefcleaners.org seems to have the same stuff/good dry rock..
perfect for you IMO.. $61 shipped..
https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/florida-reef-rock-30lbs-free-shipping

Right into the water out of the shipping box and a few weeks layer all cycled and stocking

I usually do 1/2 to 1 lb per gallon in my tanks..

Back