Reef Stews Fish Room

Nice setup Reefstew. Man its alot of work isn't it?

You would know that. LOL. It has taking 3 months to keep the business going & replumb 2 of the 3 systems. The 3rd is taking a lot longer with the work load. I hope by June it's completed. Thanks for the compliment.

Why did you have to replumb the system? What did you change?

I went from 10 gal tanks to 20 gal in the grow out system. Then I didn't like the flow so I replumbed the return 1 1/2 pipe up to each tank & then reduced it with a 1/2 " ball valve on each tank. Works a lot better now.

Can you describe your cleaning routine? I have eight 20H tanks running off a 75 gal sump and I am still trying to figure out the easiest way to keep them clean without siphoning out a lot of saltwater that is expensive.

I use a skimmer and bioball tower and don't have any nitrate issues, just lots of cleaning sediment off the bottom and keeping algae growth down.

Easy fix. I have a similiar system and i Siphon out the tanks as usual but have the end of the siphon run thru a filter sock in your sump. That way you trap all the bad stuff in the filter sock and you can save and reuse the water.

Can you describe your cleaning routine? I have eight 20H tanks running off a 75 gal sump and I am still trying to figure out the easiest way to keep them clean without siphoning out a lot of saltwater that is expensive.

I use a skimmer and bioball tower and don't have any nitrate issues, just lots of cleaning sediment off the bottom and keeping algae growth down.

Their is no easy way around it. I was vacumning the tanks & screening the water & the chemistry was not good. With a high volumn of fish you need to siphon the bottom & change a lot of water. I go through 200-250 gal. of water a week.

totally nice setup.

i'm about to do my first breeding on my clowns also. can i ask you what salinity you keep the water at?

how many fry do you keep per 20 gallon high tank? or do you just keep all fry from one batch in a 20H tank. When should they be moved to a large tank or split up?

Would a 20 gallon long tank be better since it has a larger footprint than a 20 gallon high?

Thanks.

how many fry do you keep per 20 gallon high tank? or do you just keep all fry from one batch in a 20H tank. When should they be moved to a large tank or split up?

Would a 20 gallon long tank be better since it has a larger footprint than a 20 gallon high?

Thanks.

I will put a full batch in a 20 which is 200-400 fish. When they start to grow I will split them up. 100-125 of 1" clownfish per 20 gal.

would there be a difference in using a 20G long versus a 20G high tank for the parents/fry's?

i'm asking cause i already have 2 20L tanks, so if they can still work good, would be great

Back