Reef Stews Fish Room

Use the tanks you have. To make your 90 gpd unit produce 180 you need another membrane so you would 2 side by side. I deal directly with Spectrapure since their about 15 miles away. Call & order it. Their are directions on how to install it.

reef, i couldn't find any directions on how to do the upgrade. do you T-off the prefilter into two membranes. would you need to get another DI/silicabuster combo? Or do you just connect the two membranes into the DI/silicabuster?

do you think i would need it or could the 90 a day work.

Also, i know that you should not filter the water when the clowns are first born, but can i put some bioballs in the fry tank, just for some filtration. Or maybe a slow drip of clean water into the tanks with filtration in the sump. that shouldn't remove too much rotifers/phyto.

If not, how often would the water need to be changed. When can I start the bio-filtration? Sorry for having so many questions.

Gentle established sponge filters are better then bioballs. Along with siphoning the bottom.

Excellent thread, I have been following it right throug.

Reefstew, I see you are using the clay pot method. Are you finding that your clowns accept the pot as a home and lay their eggs regularily on the pot? Also did you cure your pots before sticking them in your tanks? If so what did you do to cure them? Also are they clay or plastic pots? Thanks ahead for your responses.

SuperNemo, just buy a 90 gpd membrane & tell them you want directions on how to hook it up. Spectrapure is really good to deal with.

Reefstew, I see you are using the clay pot method. Are you finding that your clowns accept the pot as a home and lay their eggs regularily on the pot? Also did you cure your pots before sticking them in your tanks? If so what did you do to cure them? Also are they clay or plastic pots? Thanks ahead for your responses.

I never heard of any problems with clay pots, have you? I just rinse them with tap water after the eggs hatch.

reefstew, i looked it up. its the piggy back system.

i'll stick with the 90 for now and then see how that goes. thanks for the info.

Reefstew, I have not heard or read anything wrong with the use of clay pots, or of anything really leachingg into the water. But I have not exatly been looking to hard either... So many people use them in breeding and I guess there is such a high water turn over rate in.breeding that its probably not an issue even if something was slowly leaching into the water

Using clay pots is extremely common. I use a combination of clay pots and ceramic tiles. My clarkii's laid their first batch on the tile over the past coupe days.

Don't have a picture of it but I purchased this at Home Depot. Go online their & look up Evaporative Cooler Parts. This screen is used to cover the intake on a pump.

Back