Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13063562#post13063562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roktsintst
jr where do you keep your wedge valve now? i just got my reef specialty cup and i am waiting for the impeller to ship.

Wizsmaster is right, you have to judge by the water level inside the skimmer. I currently have the water level at the top of the Reeflo lettering, but I am also testing the RS Upgrade PW. I suggest running the skimmer with the water level 1/4 up the neck and then adjust it from there for wet or dry skimmate.

ok. i have the water level about the bottom of the black flange with the skimmer off. then i close the riser until i get about half wet/dry skimate. i was wondering about the wedge valve at the air intake. i ask because the bubbles are very turbulant and not rising evenly. the bubbles are very chaotic and i was wondering if everyone's did that?

Well .. as far as my pump is concerned .. i'll contact Sequence tomorrow to see what they say.

The impeller wasn't loose by any means, but I did leave it to be able to nearly free spin ... that was just not enough pressure on the seal to keep it from leaking out of the housing.

About the black rubber shavings/dust ... I don't think it's the seal on the housing. It looks like it may be coming from the rubber disk thats on the shaft by the motor, I'm guessing it's to protect the motor from water/salt intruding.

I looked at the venturi, and it's still clean as a whistle ...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13064909#post13064909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roktsintst
ok. i have the water level about the bottom of the black flange with the skimmer off. then i close the riser until i get about half wet/dry skimate. i was wondering about the wedge valve at the air intake. i ask because the bubbles are very turbulant and not rising evenly. the bubbles are very chaotic and i was wondering if everyone's did that?

How long have you been running the skimmer for? I would suggest to not close the air valve as you will see the watts increase.

I notice all you guys say to run the water level around the bottom of the flange without any air (as a starting point)

I have the Dart gold motor on mine, and I find that if the water level is anywhere above the top of the body (so below the narrowing) then once air is introduced, it immediately skyrockets and overflows, is that from the gold motor being slightly more powerful or ??

I seem to have found the right spot for me, but it is no where near the level I see posted so often, so just wondering why?

Thoughts??

Mark

Mine overflows also at that setting, but it stops in 30-45 seconds. It's a simple matter of having the body full of water, then injecting a massive amount of water at once. It has to calm down for a short time as water rapidly drains out the output to catch up.

You could use the overflow as a cleaning mechanism for your skimmer - if you can set it with a time to turn the pump off 1 minute every 2 hours .... when it turns back on, you'd be able to flush the neck & cup out. Of course you'd have to watch your salinity a bit more ... but for the larger tank crowd, it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

I was trying to judge how much water I had flowing through, I admit it's not the best way do it but I didn't know any other way. The skimmer has only been up for around 20 hours and I did not clean it prior to installing, I just set it up as is.

The wedge pipe is all the way open and with the water set about an inch below where the body starts to taper but it's already building a head that comes to about two inches below the top of the neck. I think even at this point I would have an overflow if I raised the water that high.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13067862#post13067862 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by broke1
I was trying to judge how much water I had flowing through, I admit it's not the best way do it but I didn't know any other way. The skimmer has only been up for around 20 hours and I did not clean it prior to installing, I just set it up as is.

The wedge pipe is all the way open and with the water set about an inch below where the body starts to taper but it's already building a head that comes to about two inches below the top of the neck. I think even at this point I would have an overflow if I raised the water that high.

I would not spend any time or effort trying to dial it in or adjusting it for skimmer output. My skimmer took 3 weeks to break in and I even ran it with a mild vinegar bath. I would just have it so that the point where the water and air break is right below the black collar and leave it for 3 weeks. You can also add real small amounts of skimmate to it to help break in, think of it as scrubbing bubbles for your skimmer.:D

Thinking of purchasing a Reeflo 250 for a 240gal reef I had some ?'s if anybody wants to answer some:
After you get this skimmer broke in do you have to make adjustments alot to it or is it a set and forget skimmer?

Do you have to mod this skimmer to get it to work optimally?

Can u tell me your maintenance on this skimmer? ex. clean cup weekly, pump monthly

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13068880#post13068880 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andy51632
Thinking of purchasing a Reeflo 250 for a 240gal reef I had some ?'s if anybody wants to answer some:
After you get this skimmer broke in do you have to make adjustments alot to it or is it a set and forget skimmer?

Set & Forget.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13068880#post13068880 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andy51632
Do you have to mod this skimmer to get it to work optimally?

You do not have to. There is no manual modding required.

An upgraded cup kit is available from Reef Specialty - this cup does NOT require modding either. Simple swap of the cup.
As of a week or 2 ago, a modified & optimized Needle Wheel is available as well. This required about 5 minutes of time to install.
Seems like some/many of us modify the Air Valve on the venturi by drilling it out ... this is NOT required by any means. Just an easy mod that takes 15 minutes & adds performance.

Can u tell me your maintenance on this skimmer? ex. clean cup weekly, pump monthly

As for me, I clean the cup/neck every 3 days by simply rinsing it out. I do not touch the inside of the neck unless stuff is really cakes on & cannot be removed with water pressure.
I usually don't clean the inside body unless it calls for a cleaning ... coralline ... or other crazy growths.

It's to early to tell wether or not the modified needlewheel & drilled out valve will require more maintenance on the Venturi (clogged with salt).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13065288#post13065288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wizsmaster
Well .. as far as my pump is concerned .. i'll contact Sequence tomorrow to see what they say.

The impeller wasn't loose by any means, but I did leave it to be able to nearly free spin ... that was just not enough pressure on the seal to keep it from leaking out of the housing.

About the black rubber shavings/dust ... I don't think it's the seal on the housing. It looks like it may be coming from the rubber disk thats on the shaft by the motor, I'm guessing it's to protect the motor from water/salt intruding.

I looked at the venturi, and it's still clean as a whistle ...

What did Sequence say about the seal/leak? I have noticed black looking shavings along side the motor also. But on closer inspection it ended up being dust that caked up most likely from moisture and the shaft of the pump.

Any new pics of the skimmer? What are your thought so far? Likes dislikes?

I forgot to call chris today. I'll have to do it sometime next week if i remember.

no pics, skimmer is still sitting in the corner. will be for a few days ... I'm going fishing offshore tomorrow.

--marco

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13086815#post13086815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wizsmaster
I just received the new flow meter ... HAHAHA!
thats all i'll say for now.

that's not far. We need to know.

I don't have the skimmer hooked up ... I'm remodeling the garage/sump & filtration ... nothing but a sump with several hundred pounds of LiveRock right now.
I probably won't have the skimmer hooked up till at least end of the week.

IMG_5639_JPG.jpg

IMG_5644_JPG.jpg

IMG_5647_JPG.jpg

Back