Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club

That thing is HUMONGOUS! Now only if I can find one for a decent price. Well come on... we're waiting for you to hook it up to the skimmer.

hahaha ... yes, i just pegged it while breathing through it.

I can feel the difference though .. much less restriction.

If you don't mind How much did it cost and what model #?
I might have to build a stand just for that thing.

Got my new needlewheel today, soaked it for a hour in vinegar and installed,after an hour nice skimmate and buried air meter at 100scfh and 133 watts impressive :eek1:

I got my new mesh needle wheel today, but am unsure as to how to remove the old one. Could somebody please help? Thank you.
Jim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13088545#post13088545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmckdvm
I got my new mesh needle wheel today, but am unsure as to how to remove the old one. Could somebody please help? Thank you.
Jim

Sent you a PM

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12970087#post12970087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RokleM
Since a lot of the Reeflo owners may have not torn apart a Sequence pump before, I figured I'd document the process quick as I was upgrading mine. It isn't as easy as a smaller pump, but it's not overly difficult either.

Two images of the needlewheels (original left, Reef Specialty on the right).

07.17.2008-05.jpg

07.17.2008-06.jpg

Step 1: Obviously drain the skimmer and remove the pump.

Step 2: Remove the six nuts

07.17.2008-07.jpg

Step 3: The end will come off

07.17.2008-08.jpg

Step 4: Get a large flathead screwdriver. The shaft of the pump extends from inside the stock needlewheel all the way out the back side of the pump. Insert a screwdriver into the slot (which will hold the shaft in place), and unscrew the old needlewheel.

07.17.2008-09.jpg

Step 5: If your new unit doesn't have the middle seal, move it to the new unit. This is one of the sealing mechanisms that allows the shaft to extend from the wet section here, through the air gap, and into the main pump. It is very important to be careful on removal (don't chip, exert excessive force, etc), as you can damage it. It comes out relatively easy with a larger pair of pliers and/or wrench. Wiggle it back and forth to remove it.

07.17.2008-10.jpg

Step 6: Again use the screwdriver on the back of the pump, and screw on the new needlewheel. Get it tight, but not too tight. It should still spin a dozen or so rotations easy if you spin the unit by hand.

Step 7: Reassemble

Jeremy and Eric,

Thank you for your help. I've got the new wheel on and running. (I'm getting big bubbles now, but I'm sure it will be fine in a day or so).

Thanks!
Jim

Well it is going to be a paradigm shift for me but I have taken the leap to needle wheel skimmers this week. I went ahead and ordered the 250; it's supposed to be here Friday.

I'm taking off work to receive and install it :D

Just a bit of back ground. I'm coming over from the world of Beckett injection skimmers from PM and the chore of constantly tweaking the skimmer on a fairly daily basis to keep it dialed in. I currently fill a 4" waste collector with nasty black soup every week but again that includes a constant maintenance routine on the skimmer settings. I'm really looking forward to setting a skimmer up and having it just work.

My system is a 120 Display with two 20 gallon display fuge's and a 75 gallon custom built sump. The skimmer will be a bit over kill but I have a very heavy bio-load and I'm planning a move to a 300 gallon display tank at the beginning of the year.

I'm planning on using a Quiet One 2200 to feed the skimmer; I figure about 500GPH will be the flow through the skimmer. Should I bump that up or slow it down?

Thank You,

John

john, i had my 200 (on a 120) fed from one of two 1 1/2" overflow drains, probably getting 300-400 gph. i decided to temporarily hook it up to an extra tee off my sequence 4300 return pump, so i could play around with the flow rates. i have it running at a pretty high rate right now, with the wedge valve open at the cone/cylinder transition, then wedge valve closed enough to bring it up to the body/cup transition (all with the circ pump off).

so far, it is not skimming nearly as well, it's only been three days but there was almost no new plumbing involved so it should be minimal break in after the change. i think these skimmers function better at a lower feed rate, i'll be experimenting with that over the next few days but could certainly suggest you'll want to be able to at least dial back the quiet one. it's probably overkill though.

pete

Thank You - To be safe I'll install a ball valve between the pump and skimmer. I can't imagine that I'll need to trim the 250 back much more than 400~500 GPH.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13145619#post13145619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdeveaux
Thank You - To be safe I'll install a ball valve between the pump and skimmer. I can't imagine that I'll need to trim the 250 back much more than 400~500 GPH.

if you can, use a gate valve .. it will allow you to dial the flow in much better.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13145626#post13145626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wizsmaster
if you can, use a gate valve .. it will allow you to dial the flow in much better.

Can you or someone tell me what size connector is on the input side of the 250? I might have an extra gate valve but I can't find the size and my skimmer wont be here until Friday :rolleyes:

Thank You,

3/4 or 1" I would use the 1" that way later if you sell it or need to put more water through it you can. but that said you can still use a reducer fitting before the inlet piece so you could go bigger or smaller for what ever you want.

I used the 1" but use a threaded reducer to 3/4" hope this helps

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13147538#post13147538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by richierich2000
3/4 or 1" I would use the 1" that way later if you sell it or need to put more water through it you can. but that said you can still use a reducer fitting before the inlet piece so you could go bigger or smaller for what ever you want.

I used the 1" but use a threaded reducer to 3/4" hope this helps

From what I've read I'll never need to sell it. :D

Back