Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club

I have the upgraded pin wheel and the stock cup it won't overflo on start up I have the larger cup too I run 425 gph right now in it till I get a bigger pump with the small cup it's all dark skimmate

okay where do you guys run the water level with the skimmer on?

I run mine right above the skimmer head where it disconnects from the base...I get about a gallon of simmate every 3 days and the neck is covered in gunk. If I wanted to run it wet I would raise the water level correct? Where does everyone typically run theirs?

Here's a few bad pics of the skimmer with the new pinwheel and Gold pump. I just cleaned the skimmer and did a water change two hours before the photo's were taken, so it's cleaner then it should be.

I've noticed the skimmer doesn't always skim since the upgrades. I really believe this is too much skimmer for my setup and I guess I need to add some more fiish or shut the skimmer off a few hours a day. :lol:

IMG_1100-1.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

I've noticed in a number of pictures that people have their skimmer set to the almost closed position on the outflow; what size feed pump are you using?

I was using a QO3000 for the first year I had the skimmer. I changed to a QO2200 after the cup upgrade and had better results.

I'm pushing about 350-400 through the 250 w/ upgrades. I could likely do more, but I would need to do some plumbing modifications on my system first (creatures a suction that drains faster than it should).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13666487#post13666487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BreadmanMike
I was using a QO3000 for the first year I had the skimmer. I changed to a QO2200 after the cup upgrade and had better results.

Why did you switch pumps vs. just putting in a valve and throttle it back a bit?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13670219#post13670219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ryan009
Why did you switch pumps vs. just putting in a valve and throttle it back a bit?

I needed the 3000 for something else.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13669982#post13669982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pike614
If you've got it in the closed position, wouldn't that mean you're only skimming a small volume of water?

I've always read that recirc skimmers should be fed 1.5x your tank volume. That's exactly what I'm doing.

OK, I'm stuck! I have been noticing a reduction in performance from ny 250 over the past couple weeks. The skimmer has been running for about 2 months, and was skimming serious gunk...now I am noticing the bubble level in the neck barely reaches the cup. Nothing has changed in terms of flow to the skimmer....am I missing something I should be cleaning?

Pike614- Check your venturi for salt creep. You also may have to adjust you water height as your monster skimmer catches up with your systems bio load/waist.

Have you taken the venturi off and cleaned it? I'd bet there is some build up in there.

For daily maintenance I let the airline suck up an 8oz cup of hot RO water every day and use a baby bottle brush to stick into the hole and clean it. Doing this doesn't keep it completely clean. I also take the pump off and clean the venturi every three months.

take a bottle of hot water, maybe a gallon jug, pull your air hose off the silencer & stick it in the jug - let it suck all of the hot water through it ... you're done.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13680457#post13680457 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by makdoogle
What are the smallest tanks anyone is using the 250 on?

I have seen them on tanks as small as 120-140 gallons.

I'll try the hot water idea......when you say you use a toothbrush, so you unscrew the entire blue valve off?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13680457#post13680457 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by makdoogle

I have a 250 with no modifications on 120 with about 200 gallons total water volume. It is a predominately SPS tank.

I am running mine on about 160 gallons of total volume, but I'm planning on upgrading my display to a 300 gallon early next year.

Back