ReefTek Club

also did you dial in the reactor with the effluent dripping into a container to make sure everything was okay before dripping it into the main tank?. I hope that acro makes it *crosses fingers*

I had the luxury of not receiving instructions on how to dial in the reactor until last night (dripping into the bucket). I figure that is to get the effluent in the reactor to drop without the fluctuations? I just changed all settings back to 60ml and 33BPM to see if it will maintain the Effluent PH. I will test all params tomorrow to see if things have changed. The water change is done ~20% and I scrubbed off some of the algae growth. Salinity is up to ~1.025 and the acro looks good. I have changed my MH's to ~5 hour photo period. Should I get a full blown clean up crew or just a dozen or so snails to clean up some. I dont want them to starve.

Well Jorge just contacted me and said that 12.8 dKH is balanced for a 450 CA. So I guess I am not as messed up as I thought.

hmm depends i added about 120 snails...but then again my rock recieved some light during curing and had some funk on it but your rock looks really clean try maybe 30 snails cerith,nerith, and some nas'es

My Alk is at 12.8 dkh and my CA at 440 for about 3 months now, the only thing that's blooming is coralline.

cgh38 said:
My Alk is at 12.8 dkh and my CA at 440 for about 3 months now, the only thing that's blooming is coralline.

Current? Temp? Sg? Magnesium? Lights? And last, but not least - the hardest- patience?
I don't have any answers, only questions. Other than much better polyp extension, I'm not seeing much growth either. My hope is that since almost all of my SPS are frags that are currently encrusting, maybe they'll take off after that's done.
Tagamet

Tag, I just upgraded my lights from dual 175W MH and dual 65W actinics to dual 250W MH ushios and dual 96W true Actinics but that was a week ago, the coralline took off after the CA reactor was in place and with the old lights , my temp reaches to about 79- 80, SG 1.024, Magnesium : don't know and Patience? YES! lot's of it, but it's worth it, after a hard day of work it's relaxing to come home and play with a small piece of the ocean in a box.

Tag,I forgot to mention that I got 3 small monti caps frags that are growing really nice and fast.

cgh38 said:
Tag, I just upgraded my lights from dual 175W MH and dual 65W actinics to dual 250W MH ushios and dual 96W true Actinics but that was a week ago, the coralline took off after the CA reactor was in place and with the old lights , my temp reaches to about 79- 80, SG 1.024, Magnesium : don't know and Patience? YES! lot's of it, but it's worth it, after a hard day of work it's relaxing to come home and play with a small peace of the ocean in a box.

Sounds like you're doing better than your first post implied. I'm pretty sure I OVER lit my SPS tank with 2 X 400W 10K Ushios plus 220W of VHO. All of the SPS "browned up" very nicely. I've since raised the hood, which was suspended from the ceiling anyway, about a foot higher (just recently) and now have some hints of color. The clue was that frags that were "shaded" earlier by LR were doing the best. (fingers crossed)
Tagamet

j-cat - 112 BPM is very high!!!! But then again, I don't know what you have in your tank. :) Are you testing your effluent PH out of your first chamber or out of your second chamber? If it is like 6.6 or 6.7 out of your second chamber, I would be careful about turning the first chamber into slush. But Jorge would know better. :)

I have gotten pretty growth with the addition of the ca reactor. It does grow in spurts tho. My blue tortuosa which I have had for months, is finally sprouting out! :) :)

I think my parameters have started to stabilize. I have just changed the BPM to 50 and my eflluent to 55. I figure I am trying to maintain the effluent PH a bit too low. Jorge says that the double chamber (second chamber) reactor will raise PH ~0.2. So I figure that I should be hovering around 6.95-7.05 for optimal effluent PH. Calcium is up and ALK is holding stable so we will see where everything is at tomorrow.

oh and seriously you should post the pics of your setup....for it is AWESOME....seriously guys you should bug j-cat to let you see it!. By far the most thought out and perfectly executed 125 i have ever seen!

J-cat

J-cat

vinny said:
oh and seriously you should post the pics of your setup....for it is AWESOME....seriously guys you should bug j-cat to let you see it!. By far the most thought out and perfectly executed 125 i have ever seen!

Consider yourself officially "bugged". Cough up the pics.
Tagamet

LOL,

I will post pics as soon as I can. Busy acclimating snails right now! Oh and my EPH was at 7.11 today so I had to bump the BPM to 80 again. Oh well - Jorge said the bubbles are just an indicator.

Has anyone had a problem with that black Co2 tubing collapsing on itself when the PH Controller shuts off and then turns on? Should I just change it to regular 1/4 inch tubing like the effluent?

j-cat - Haven't had that problem.

Well my effluent was constant for a week and a half at about 44 - 48 ml, but it has now dropped to a consistent 40ml a minute. I DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad2: :uzi: :furious: :blown:

Rebels23 said:
j-cat - Haven't had that problem.

Well my effluent was constant for a week and a half at about 44 - 48 ml, but it has now dropped to a consistent 40ml a minute. I DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad2: :uzi: :furious: :blown:

It's slowing down, Rebs.
HTH,
Tagamet

I'm thinking it has something to do with the powerhead feed pumps, because the peristaltic pumps don't seem to have the problem.

Peace,
John H.

rufio173 said:
I'm thinking it has something to do with the powerhead feed pumps

Nah, I think it's in the reactor design.

Perhaps if the effluent were to come from a small hole in the lid of the reactor, instead of from the circulation loop, the effluent rate would remain constant. I don't know.....I just NEVER had this problem before in a reactor...ever. Anyway, my $92 peristaltic pump should be here tomorrow :rolleyes:.

Back