ReefTek Club

Baffle for the Media?

Baffle for the Media?

Does the Reeftek come with a baffle to keep the Media off of the bottom of the Reactor and clear of the input from the recirculation pump?

I adjust my effluent daily as it drop daily - its just something I have come to live with. Yes it does come with a baffle made out of screen material. I opted to go to Walmart and buy the other screening material recommended by another reefcentral member and it works great.

For those of you using the ball valve at the end of your effluent line are you basically leaving the needle wheel (which is just after the feeding pump) wide open or are you dialing down the needle wheel too?

reeftek

reeftek

Hi! Jgagel:

I had to send my reeftek back because it had a few leaks I guess from shipping. Jorge gives you fantastic support , he built a new reactor for me with the needle valve controlling the effluent & it's been steady @ 50 drops per minute for 3 weeks now. I have noticed that the coral branches have become thicker since the reactor is working. The main reason is that Jorge had the best prices (group buy) & support. I have not tried other reactor's so it's hard to tell you which ones are better.

Dan

Re: Baffle for the Media?

Re: Baffle for the Media?

jgagel said:
Does the Reeftek come with a baffle to keep the Media off of the bottom of the Reactor and clear of the input from the recirculation pump?

Yes.
Tagamet

When people are talking about controlling the effluent flow rate and say they have the reactor far from their tank and they can easily control the effluent control at the sump ... what do they mean "at the sump?"

Well ... after much deliberation and e-mailing with Jorge I am going to purchase a Reeftek. Like you all have said on this forum time and time again, Jorge's customer satisfaction is the best. I believe he has answer 8-10 e-mails of questions I had realizing that I may not even purchase a Reeftek. I am just waiting for the overall measurement of the reactor from bottom to top of the white PVC coming out the top of the CR because I do have some space constraints, I think I am going to ask Jorge to turn the top JG fitting sideways to cut some more height off of the overall height. Thank you all for this Post and I hope to be able to sing my praises in a couple of weeks with my new Reeftek!

Jorge,

Damn good man and great support. I really think he has a computer strapped to his chest considering the speed of his return e-mails.

Peace,
John H.

I also purchased the needle valve, but it still drops daily. I do have the older model, but nothing I can really do about that.

I just found reef central, luckily since I am shoping for my equipment for my new tank.Sounds like the service is good but isn't the whole idea not having to use it. I'm looking at reactors and found this post. Sounds like many have made alterations to their reactors. I'd like something that works off the shelf with out aditional "accesories" the price is good but not if I have to buy a 90.00 dosing pump. You all speak well of the reactor am i missing something?
thanks not intended as a flame I am just confused.

Hey toad,

I think every brand of calcium reactor has had effluent problems... but Jorge will give you great support. There are a bunch of nice manufacturers out there, but Jorge is really on the ball with the customer service and the calcium reactor is damn huge!!!

Peace,
John H.

toad,

i think you are also missing that there was an issue with the reactor in some systems, it was addressed by the manufacturer and the new models seem to be able to keep a steady effluent. I don't think many have modified the reactor, i know I haven't and it works perfectly. Even some european manufacturers are recomending using a dosing pump to feed the reactor.

You hope not not have to use customer service, but I feel much better knowing that if I do need to use it, it is going to be the best ;).

By the way, welcome to Reef Central! :D

Kole

I'm going to reopen a very old thread..

The bottom line is that I am having trouble with my effluent drip rate slowing down in my Reeftek calcium reactor. It slows down within hours of setting it. I'm about to replace the powerhead, needle valve and check valve to see if something will fix it. I visited a friends house yesterday that has the same reactor and he doesn't have any problems at all keeping a constant drip rate. Jorge (at Reeftek) and I have talked about the subject several times..

For those of you that had the slowing effluent drip rate problems...did you ever get it fixed and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

I have two different generation Reeftek reactors on different systems. I've had this problem from time to time as well.

Here's one thing that I did that seems to help some. I put a ball valve at the end of the effluent line and run the ball valve almost totally closed. In other words, the ball valve is just barely open. This allows me to open up the gate valve that comes with the reactor more which seems to provide a bit more pressure on the effluent line, keeping the drip rate more consistent.

Also, make sure that you release any air bubbles at the top of the inside of the reactor chamber. Any trapped air will cause problems with pressure inside the chamber. Make sure that your feed pump is not anywhere near micro bubbles. I had this problem and relocated the pump in a very stagnant area of my sump and it seems to prevent air bubble build up in the chamber.

Jorge has recommended to me as well to try using a dosing pump. I just might do that sometime.

Back