ReefTek Club

JG1 said:
Nah, I think it's in the reactor design.

I think you are mistaken, look at the Geo reactor; it uses the same method to output the effluent. If it was a problem with the design, it would be happening on every system. I have not had the problem at all.

This problem with the effluent stability apparently affects almost if not all calcium reactor designs. It happens on some systems, but not in all so I think it has to be something that is beyond the manufacturerââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s control. One is the installation (powerhead, gravity, t-ing off, level with sump, above sump below sump, etc.), second the media being used. IMO it is a problem inherent to every reactor, I already posted a few threads where people were having the same issue on many different brands.

You have not experienced this problem before with other reactors, but were you feeding the reactor with a minijet from a HOT filter?

Kole

Kole said:
I think you are mistaken, look at the Geo reactor; it uses the same method to output the effluent.

Not the Geo reactor I used. The effluent came out from a hole in the lid, not the circulation loop.

reeftek

reeftek

In Jorge's new design the effluent output is at the bottom of the reactor controlled by the needle valve. I can't tell this is better because I am waiting for a valve for the feed pump input.
the valve should be here today?

Dan

Kole said:
You have not experienced this problem before with other reactors, but were you feeding the reactor with a minijet from a HOT filter?

Minijet feed pump, Yes
HOB filter, No

But I can't possibly see how pulling water from a HOB filter, or froma sump would make a lick of a difference. There's people on this thread using a MJ1200 from there sump that have the same problem....

Re: reeftek

Re: reeftek

desi04 said:
In Jorge's new design the effluent output is at the bottom of the reactor controlled by the needle valve. I can't tell this is better because I am waiting for a valve for the feed pump input.
the valve should be here today?

Dan

The design mod did not work for me.

JG1 said:
Not the Geo reactor I used. The effluent came out from a hole in the lid, not the circulation loop.

I am talking about the current Geo reactor. You mentioned you had the old design. How were you feeding this reactor?

Kole

Kole said:
I am talking about the current Geo reactor. You mentioned you had the old design. How were you feeding this reactor?

Kole

I had the old style. I orginaly had a MJ900 on it, but figured it was a waste since I was only dripping out like 60ml/minute or effluent, so I threw a minijet on it instead and it worked fine.

JG1 said:
I had the old style. I orginaly had a MJ900 on it, but figured it was a waste since I was only dripping out like 60ml/minute or effluent, so I threw a minijet on it instead and it worked fine.

But it was a different tank I assume. I don't think you can generalize. Again, if it was a problem with the design I would be having the same problem as you. And I don't :D.

Kole

Kole said:
Again, if it was a problem with the design I would be having the same problem as you. And I don't :D.

Kole

You don't........but did you count the number of others that do?

I am no saying the problem is not real, just that it is not unique to this reactor or due to the design. But anyway, this discussion is not going to take us anywhere. You are getting the problem resolved with your peristaltic pump.

Kole

Kole said:
But anyway, this discussion is not going to take us anywhere. You are getting the problem resolved with your peristaltic pump.

Kole

True...

Just can't wait to get this pump so I can be done with this headache.

JG1, you wont be disappointed, my drip rate has been 33 ml/min since I installed the peristaltic pump, it hasn't even changed 1 single ml/min.

Kole, I agree with you on this is not just with Reeftek reactors, I have read many threads with people having the exact same problems with many different brands, it does seem to be more of a problem with slower drip rates.

Once again, I think a lot of it has to do with your feed method, and if you are doing it with a pump, then the pump might be the problem. If you think about it, not all pumps are treated equally, even if they are the same brand/specifications.

Peace,
John H.

rufio, do some research on peristaltic pumps and you will understand why!!!! Peristaltic is not a brand name, it's a different type of pump.

I have the Dual Chamber Reeftek and the effluent tube comes out of the top of the second chamber. I still have problems with the effluent drip rate slowing. I use a MJ1200 to feed the reactor.

Jorge, could you go into detail on this thread about the Mod(s) that people have reported success with?

To those of you that don't have a problem with the effluent rate slowing, could you please describe your setup?

I know what a peristaltic pump is! Hehe. I'm in med school for crying out loud! :) (Dialysis machines wouldn't work without the pumps)

I know why the peristaltic pump works, because it kneads the tube like dough so it pushes in exactly what you want to come out. You are not restricting its flow because for the hobbyist peristaltic pump, you aren't constricting it in anyway.

What I was talking about is that with the different pumps (magnetic drive) out there that you can use to feed (mag, rio, maxijet... etc.), I'm not sure how consistent they can be when you are really constricting their flow to what is needed for the calcium reactor. I mean, it seems strange that the flow would slow down as time goes by and then suddenly pick right back up when you open it full blast. It doesn't seem to flush out any deposits and I think that the pump used to feed is really important. As to why some peoples pumps work and don't work. I have no idea :)

Peace,
John H.

Just a theory o' mine. Who knows, maybe it really is the design, but I doubt it.

Or maybe since nothing is perfect in the world, no matter how hard Jorge (and any other manufacturer) tries to make everyone's reactor exactly the same, there will be slight errors that will cause one persons calcium reactor to not work properly and another person's reactor to work well.

Ok, now I'm just rambling. Back to work for me!

Peace,
John H.

The restriction is probably mostly do to either salt or calcium deposit. This happens for almost every reactor that uses any kind of miniature valve.
Have anybody tried a pinch valve?

Fast slowdown!

Fast slowdown!

Dattack,

That would certainly explain the gradual slowdown episodes, but what would account for the precipitous drops in flow over the course of one or two days? And also, rapid flushing of calcium deposits wouldn't necessarily get rid of the calcium deposits, especially if it's caked on there pretty good.

Peace,
John H.

Back