Refugium Light.

mx51

I have a 75 gallon rr DT with a 29 gallon sump left side in sump skimmer,middle return pump and right side is the refugium. I don't have much room between the bottom of my display tank and the sump maybe like 6-8 inches. What are you guys using for refugium lights? And while we are on the refugium subject I will have 1 drain running into the skimmer compartment and 1 drain into the refugium. Should I have a filter sock in the skimmer section and the refugium section or just 1 in the skimmer section? Thanks for any help

Most of us use a 16 Watt compact fluorescent flood light 5400K available at most hardware stores. You can use or skip the filter sock, either option will work. With the sock you give up some space in the refugium, without it you will need to clean detritus out of the refugium a little more frequently.

I've recently switched to the ecosmart 5k LED mini floodlight, pretty happy w/ results, cool temp, great growth, and expect a pretty long life out of this bulb.

I used one of the compact fluorescent bulbs for a while but recently went with a few leftover LED's from an old build. I use 4 3W leds I believe it was 2 cool white and 2 warm white.

Thank you uncle salty the one I was looking at on marine depot was $130 I will definitely be picking that up

You're very welcome.
Like I said, if you are not completely satisfied you let me know and I will refund your money.
I know you will be.:wave:

P.S. when you first turn it on you might think it is not very bright, give it 5 minutes.

Last edited:
You're very welcome.
Like I said, if you are not completely satisfied you let me know and I will refund your money.
I know you will be.:wave:

P.S. when you first turn it on you might think it is not very bright, give it 5 minutes.

These lights are what I bought for mine. Like you said at first lights don't seem bright, but they are now and work well so far.

Aren't all energy saving bulbs like that? Turn them on and takes a few minutes for them to get bright...

Aren't all energy saving bulbs like that? Turn them on and takes a few minutes for them to get bright...

Yeah I have those around the house and they sometimes annoy me for that reason.
Those are what I was using for fuge too, and they work just fine.
This is the updated version from that same manufacturer, also available at HD and similar.
It's cost is $20 compared to that one at $5, but I figure I'll get at least 5 years out of it, runs cooler, instant bright,(not that it matters much for a fuge)
My reason for switching to these now is cooler temp and last much longer, so for every one of these you're throwing about 4 of the older away, and I'm a bit of a treehugger in wanting less going to landfills.
To my surprise macro growth also increased.

This is the updated version from that same manufacturer, also available at HD and similar.
It's cost is $20 compared to that one at $5, but I figure I'll get at least 5 years out of it, runs cooler, instant bright,(not that it matters much for a fuge)
My reason for switching to these now is cooler temp and last much longer, so for every one of these you're throwing about 4 of the older away, and I'm a bit of a treehugger in wanting less going to landfills.

Good stuff - I'm very cramped for space and was going to ask about heat. This one looks good to me.

What K are these bulbs rated at? Also, what brand? Thanks

Back