Regal Angel Primer

I think the growth rate depends on the tank size with these fish. How much and how often you feed likely has an impact too.
This is a species that is very successful and adaptable in the wild, so I would expect them also adapt as much as possible to an aquarium setting, even if it's just in size.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

..., bad news. He passed last night. He was swimming erratically the last day or so. Quite bummed. Thanks for the help anyway.

I'm sorry to hear that.
Which region was that fish from and which vendor did you get it from?

Throewer, quick question,
Do you think indo pacific regals are more reclusive than the yellow belly variants? Just asking because an LFS is giving me a great deal to get rid of a regal that they've had for 4 months. 75$ for a ~4" regal. Grey belly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the growth rate depends on the tank size with these fish. How much and how often you feed likely has an impact too.
This is a species that is very successful and adaptable in the wild, so I would expect them also adapt as much as possible to an aquarium setting, even if it's just in size.

One of 10 fish currently in my 625g, I feed 3-5 times a day heavily. Always have nori in the tank too

provide free room and board

provide free room and board

I just discovered this thread and I am now fascinated with this beautiful fish. I know I have a heavily stocked tank (see signature line for my critters) and it is primarily an SPS tank.

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipOqh4TSM-4yBH7_qTifazRUhac00iR4bcr4uO7I

Everyone gets along, except the Whip Fin likes to go after the Lubbocks see first second of the posted video.

Can I effectively provide free room and board to one of these magnificent fish?

Throewer, quick question,
Do you think indo pacific regals are more reclusive than the yellow belly variants? Just asking because an LFS is giving me a great deal to get rid of a regal that they've had for 4 months. 75$ for a ~4" regal. Grey belly..

I think it depends a lot on the tank you put it in. I have one gray in my sump tank who only comes to the front for food. Another one in my 40B is coming out more, and the one I have in .y 42 CADlight tank is out all the time.
The Sumatra pair usually also prefers to stay within or close the rock structure, especially the smaller one. But I built it very loosely so you can see them a lot.

I'm sorry to hear that.
Which region was that fish from and which vendor did you get it from?

It was sold as true Red Sea from Nya. Also said he was eating which could be the case and was just stressed because of shipping.

Sorry to hear about yours coolxborg
As far as growth after almost four years my juvenile has grown, my larger one the growth not so much. They were in a 300 and for the last few months have been moved to a 180. To compare I had a 3" juvenile Imperator go to a changing 6" Imp in one year.
Juvenile 2012

Adult 2012

What was a juvenile this year

Larger one this year

And now both the smaller is definitely growing faster and catching up

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that my regal didnt make it. Im gonna wait for the right opportunity for another regal (maybe a pair). Maybe a few months or longer.

However, at that point, my 225 tank will have a yellow, purple, achilles, whitetail, and blonde tangs.

What would be the best way to introduce a regal (or two) with all these tangs in the tank?
Or should I just scratch the idea of regals if i have these tangs?

Now that my regal didnt make it. Im gonna wait for the right opportunity for another regal (maybe a pair). Maybe a few months or longer.

However, at that point, my 225 tank will have a yellow, purple, achilles, whitetail, and blonde tangs.

What would be the best way to introduce a regal (or two) with all these tangs in the tank?

Too many tangs to begin with...

Definitely scratch the Regal.

This is too many tangs. You should just scratch the Regal. I would remove the Blonde and the Achilles.

+1
One tang is already one too much in any tank below 500 gallon IMO.

I know that you like smaller fishes, keep in breeding units like myself. However, I disagree with your aversion to tangs.

I know that you like smaller fishes, keep in breeding units like myself. However, I disagree with your aversion to tangs.

I have no aversion against tangs, but as hyperactive swimmers they need particularly large tanks. There is a reason why they are on top among the most ich plagued fish: 99% of the ones in captivity are kept in inadequate or/and overcrowded tanks.

But back to regal angels:
I need to move my little Maldives regal soon and wonder where to house it.
I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to add it to the Sumatra pair.
The sump tank is the only other alternative at this point once the Philippine regal there is out.

Well, I don't think Tangs (Purple, Powder Blue, etc.) should be in anything less than 6 feet.

Naso, Sohal, etc. - definitely need a much larger aquarium.

A 500 gallon minimum might be a bit of a stretch for Purple, Powder Blue, etc...

But, as always, the larger the aquarium, the better.

:fish1:

Last edited:
Got this YBR about 2 weeks ago. I was told it was eating at the store so I got it shipped. Upon arrival, it did not eat but showed interest in the mysis/spirulina brine I fed. On the second day, it ate a few bites but stopped eating. I was worried so I went to the grocery store and got two steamer clams. At first, it just looked at it. I took the clam out and made slices with the clam on the shell and drop it back in. After a couple minutes, it pecks and ate the clam. After feeding the clam, it suddenly got its appetite back and took the mysis/brine. I went and got more Larry's food and it has been eating very well.

Watch it in 4K!

Back