Renton's Upgrade

Did a bunch of aquascaping, still not done and not happy with how crowded it is with all the rock.

20120923-DSC_0033_zps73d2629a.jpg

20120923-DSC_0035_zpsaadc8a44.jpg

20120923-DSC_0037_zps54509545.jpg

20120923-DSC_0036_zps68b83336.jpg

20120923-DSC_0038_zpsd5d7a9ac.jpg

20120923-DSC_0039_zpsa3d5d4c8.jpg

20120923-DSC_0040_zps8d1f033b.jpg

20120923-DSC_0041_zps2724bfa8.jpg

20120923-DSC_0044_zpsf43908ea.jpg

20120923-DSC_0043_zps9c85fb5f.jpg

What percentage do you have your sols running at and how high off of the water are they mounted? I'm just curious to see what other people besides me are running them at.

What percentage do you have your sols running at and how high off of the water are they mounted? I'm just curious to see what other people besides me are running them at.

The lights are currently 13" above the water and max out in the mid 70's for the blues and 60's for the white. I expect to make adjustments going forward.

if ya look back in my update pics.i run my ai sols horizontal and i added t5 it make a difference how the tank looks.the ai sols lack the uv end of the spectrum and adding a ati purple plus also helps to pick up orange and reds in the tank.

I see, I have my two units 15" above my water running with the blues at about 80% and the whites in the high 60's. I have been very happy with the coloration and growth on my corals, but I wondered if I could do more with it.
I have been thinking about doing that too Bill. I have been following your build as well.

I ran the t5 ai sol blue combo, other then help with light spread I notice no difference in color or growth without the t5s on the new tank

I get pretty darn good color already, and I am happy with my growth rates. Thats why I was goin back and forth on it for a while. It's good to know someone else has tried it too.

if ya look back in my update pics.i run my ai sols horizontal and i added t5 it make a difference how the tank looks.the ai sols lack the uv end of the spectrum and adding a ati purple plus also helps to pick up orange and reds in the tank.

I recall seeing that Bill and I was intrigued by it. However, I could not get away with running the AI's horizontal on my tank, it is too wide (front to back). I am currently happy with the spread and coloration, but that could change down the road.

Looks like everything really came around for you! Beautiful system!

Great HD video. What live stock are you planning to add?

Thanks guys. Gunner, I am trying to narrow down the list. An Achilles Tang is high on my list and/or a purple tang but I want to make sure I can provide them a good home first. I know I will be adding a few more wrasses and anthias, just not sure exactly what kinds yet, though I do like those Fathead Anthias.

A mandarin dragonet and pipefish are on my list once the pod population gets going, actually I have lots of pods already but I will give them more time to populate.

what do you feed your anthias as of now mine eats cyclopleeze it was eating mysis shrimp at first but now just spits them out.i tried soaking in garlic or brightwells food supplment it kinda like selcon.dam fish is a picky eater

what do you feed your anthias as of now mine eats cyclopleeze it was eating mysis shrimp at first but now just spits them out.i tried soaking in garlic or brightwells food supplment it kinda like selcon.dam fish is a picky eater

Mine eat everything I put in the tank. Mysis, ova, cyclopeeze. It took a little time but they all eat NLS pellets as well, the 1mm ones. Once the anthias saw other fish darting to eat the pellets the caught on.

Back