Return Pump for 120

Deprecated

Premium Member
Currently pooling equipment for a 120g and would like some advice for a return pump. The tank has (2) corner overflows and the pump will most likely be submersible. I am not looking for a lot of flow from the returns, just something sufficient with some flexibility. Most of the flow within the tank will come from Tunzes.

First thing that comes to mind is the Eheim 1262, but I am worried that it might not be strong enough. What are some other options, or would the Eheim be enough.

Thanks.

I have to say I like that answer, I read nothing but good things about that pump.

Thanks for the input.

I have a 1260 on my return too, I didn't want too much flow through the sump because that was pushing micro bubbles through with the last pump I had. Switched to the lower flow Eheim and no problems now

I am in the same boat with putting together equipments for a new 120g tank. After much research, my choice for the return pump is the Eheim 1262. Going to use it as a submersible. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

How about the Tunze 1073.040 Silence pump? 792 gph at 43 watts. Has a built-in flow throttle as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15133424#post15133424 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thin crust
How about the Tunze 1073.040 Silence pump? 792 gph at 43 watts. Has a built-in flow throttle as well.

I have an 85g system and bought the large Silence pump and it put out slightly more than the Eheim 1250 I had been using (probably about 200 gph). It was really loud too. I switched to an Eheim 1262 and the actual outflow was 300gph. This is the flow actually exiting the return and going into the tank. It's exiting a 1/2" connection so it should flow more if a 3/4" is used (my return has a 1/2" bulkhead....stupid me).

Good to know DT. I haven't heard much about the Tunze so it's good to hear some feedback. I'm too have been researching return pumps - sounds like the Eheim is the clear winner.

I looked at the Tunze Silence pumps and thought the flow control mounted to them was interesting. Good to see some feedback on them though, makes my decision easy.

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like the Eheim is going in my shopping cart.

Good choice on the Eheim. Buying a Eheim 1262 for my 90 was one of my better decisions in this hobby.

I have a 1262 on my 110 and I have it turned down otherwise my overflow cant keep up and water will go over the top of display.

1260 is adequate for the 120g and a frag/fuge on the side. If you are going expand it later like say a Fuge where there's a 4 ft vetical piping, then even the 1262 will not be enough.

Back