RO startup timer?

Ermin

I have a RO/ DI system with booster pump. I want a controller that will prevent the unit from cycling on/off multiple times a day when my water reservoir float valve drops.

I didn't want to build weatherson's Anti-RO/DI Cycling ATO Reservoir Device.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275455
I'm trying to avoid testing and building another gadget....

I'm hoping there is a solenoid that can be controlled via a timer and can turn-on to let supply water through into the RO system. So even when the float valve in my reservoir is low, no water will be produced until the timer opens the solenoid.

Is there such a solenoid for this kind of purpose?

Thanks!

What about one of those irrigation drip system timers? Battery powered with programmable on/off cycles. They're about $40 and use garden hose type connections.

You need a solenoid between the asov and the water storage tank. control the solenoid with a standard timer. If you only need the ro to come on a couple hours a day limit to a couple hours a day.

mmn,
That definitly sounds like a possible option. I have two of those for home garden use.... just never thought of it in this application. Thanks!

tkeracer619,
Are there any specific solenoid I should look at? Or any solenoid capable of handling water and comes with 1/4" fitting connections would work. I've seen a couple of them that fits my application off of Amazon.

Here is what I use.

Digital Hose Thread Watering Timer
http://thd.co/1pH9rhw

Most hose timers will only run for 4 hours max but this one can run for up to 12. It has decent programming options and has good reviews. Mine is programmed to run 6 hours every Thursday.

MrSandman,
Thanks for the link!

I guess either garden hose timer or a solenoid would work. But, since its easier to get, cheaper, and almost no brainer to hook-up..... I will check out Home Depot tomorrow!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!!

While you're at HD you might also want to stop by the plumbing section to put together a 1/4" compression tubing connection to the timer. Or you can just buy it from Marine Depot or some other online site.

with 1/4" fittings and cord
0-115 psi, 1/4" NPT Ports, 0.125" orifice, 0.4 Cv value, stainless body w/ stainless parts, Can be mounted using two 5mm screws (not included), 3 foot power cord, 3" wide x 2.5" high x 2" deep $39

--has anyone had rust or other problems with this on their ro line? I am wanting to hook this up from the main line to the ro to stop from leaving the water line on http://autotopoff.com/Solenoids/

Every time it starts I flush for about 1 minute. Normally I have my controller do it but I have recently just been plugging them straight in since I am making 200-400 gallons at a time and running a series of tests before allowing the water into the storage tank. I've been battling strong chloramines since I moved.

Thanks for the tip on using a sprinkler timer, this is what I rigged up.
RO%20timer.jpg
[/URL]

Since a solenoid is smaller, using it will give you cleaner look....but I think the price is comparable. Getting a solenoid and a timer will cost about the same as this $30 sprinkler timer. The reason I went with this is because, if it breaks down, I can always get another one quickly at Home Depot.

Now for the next part......auto back flush.....

I think I can connect another one of this valve to use for auto back flush. AQUATEC has an AUTO FLUSH with FLOW RESTRICTOR unit that auto flushes the RO system for 18 seconds every hour that it is making product water.

Is back flushing that frequently really advantageous?

I've never done it. Just prior and post water production and get pretty good life out of my membranes. I wouldn't overthink it too much.

I couldn't edit my last post's pic, so here it is again.

Maybe its a gimmick to constantly back flush the membrane? Couple of years back, I've never heard of it and a membrane last 3 years anyways. I don't know how much longer life can constant flushing provide.

Is your pressure switch in the pic above on your permeate (RO water) line? Looks like it. But you have BRASS fittings on that oddly shaped black plastic piece. That's a no-no.

Russ

If you're going to install an auto flush valve, we recommend the version WITHOUT a built in flow restrictor. That way, if you ever want to change/adjust your flow restrictor you can do it quickly/easily.

Russ

Russ,

Why is Brass fittings not recommended? I think I found it in the potable water section of Home Depot.

I have the pressure switch and garden sprinkler valve behind the RO membrane. After water passes through this two items, it is T'ed off and either becomes RO water or passes through more filters to be RO/DI.

Even with the use of an electronic flow valve, only electric power is cut to my booster pump when water rises high enough in my storage tank. It will not cut water supply. So when the level drops in the storage tank, water is made again.....but at a low pressure without boost. That is what the garden valve can provide. It will cut water from coming out; essentially cutting water supply going into the filter.

Back