RocketEngineer's 30g

Yea, likely a Zoanthaid or a Palythoa. Not sure about the red slugs though. Can you get a pic of those?

RedThings001.jpg

RedThings002.jpg

RedThings006.jpg

Best I can do. Any help?

you got a good camera!!! nice tank so far. I don't know what those are, but they don't look like any harm.

Not positive on the red bugs. However, I have heard of red bugs that are coral predators. Not nice to have from what I hear. Not certain though. You might post that shot in the SPS forum. Those guys know red bugs.

You may want to do what you can to track down an ID on them - seems to be that most (though not all) little red critters are bad news. If they look like the picture below on the tanks glass, they're the red flatworms, and they need to be gotten rid of.

flatworms.jpg

Picture borrowed from http://www.melevsreef.com/id/

somewherre,

Yeah, thats them. Now, do I wait until I get my wrasse in a couple weeks before doing anything or do I try to take care of the situation ASAP. Are they really that much of a problem in a FOWLR tank especially since they are currently in the sump?

Honestly, I have no idea what the consequences may or may not be in a FOWLR. I think though that if nothing else, they can become an eyesore. And will likely travel from your sump to the main tank at some point.

Below are a couple of things to read about what others have done to be rid of them. They're both much more drastic cases than yours, but since the little buggers appear to be prolific...

Anyhow, a search on "red flatworms" will turn up a ton of info, both useful and useless. The wrasse seems to be hit or miss, as well as the mandarin and any other introduced predator. Read up on them, and then decide what you want to do based on your situation.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1379099&highlight=red+and+flatworms

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1379099&highlight=red+and+flatworms

Good luck!

kar93,
I found the article you mention even though the link doesn't work. After a couple PMs back and forth with Dr. Mac, I will be getting some Flatworm Exit the next time I go up there.

darkclamz,
If I had a 75g tank, I wouldn't have issue with a mandarin in the tank but because my tank is only a 30, I feel that there wouldn't be enough food for it and it would starve to death. Sorry, not an option for me at this time.

gary faulkner,
I have and its planned for a future tank.

somewherre,
Thanks for the links. I have done a little research and the best method that I have found is Flatworm Exit which is has numerous cases of success posted. Next weekend I will get some and see how it works out.

what size tank? garf. sellls a sump based copie farm, that should keep your mandarin from starving to death, but IMO that is the bast way to control flatworms.

Last edited:
really, that's all mine ever ate.
i had to actually pick corals with flatworms and sund just for that reason. hmmmm

each fish can be different, I wish mine would eat them. I have the tan, benign ones though and they usually don't get out of hand.

Back