RowaPhos and Hair Algae?

I have used rowaphos for over two yrs never had a out break of hair alagae. I know your only supposed to trickle the water through it, Plus I rinse prior . I change it every month.

I am also interested in the result because I have been using Rowaphos for awhile and my tank still have this black cyano/algae problem.
Is it possible that some bacterial (or other) contaminant could grow using the hydroxide as a medium? A rhetorical question, of course, but could some bacteria or mold, serve as a growth accelerator for algae?
Very unlikely unless you also add an organic carbon source at least.
That is not to say iron is not important for them. Some of the bad bugs you don't want to get needs iron that's why if you have a black blood clot from injuries make sure you rinse it out real well.

Last edited:
I read this thread back at it's inception and since i was having a HORRIBLE bout with HA for a year or so, and was using Rowa Phos, i thought i would try BRS' HC GFO. So, i purchased another Phosban reactor and began running the BRS HC GFO. I then manually removed all the HA i could with a toothbrush (many hours snorkeling in the tank) and so far so good. When i was running Rowa, the algae would almost immediately start growing back but i haven't seen any growback with the BRS product. Was it the Rowa causing the problem? Can't say for sure. It may just be that the extra phosban reactor helped, but i do believe, and this is just my .02, that the BRS product is superior to the Rowa. Plus, an added benefit is, you get more for your money. I won't be using Rowa anymore.

Awesome! It almost makes you mad doesn't it? I know I couldn't believe it after I made the change. I fought that BWA crud for over 2 years. Then once I stopped using ROWAphos and started using BRS HC "POOF" it just went away,lol.

I paid $69 for my 1000ml of Rowaphos, and it was on sale.
Where do you get these deal bro.
I just started Rowaphos for a couple days to reduce PO4 because I was having an brown algea/diatoms, not you guys made me regret I didn't read this post earlier :) Now I'm putting my Rowaphos to waste and will be ordering HC GFO

If you do the math the HC from BRS is actually way cheaper than ROWAphos.

For $54 you get 1000ml of ROWAphos.

For $69 you get 2lbs of BRS HC.

The 2 lb bag from BRS is easily way over 2000ml. So for another $15 you get over twice the amount that you would get buying ROWAphos. And if you get in on a group buy its even cheaper. I think I payed about $55 for 2lbs on a group buy just a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I paid $69 for my 1000ml of Rowaphos, and it was on sale.
Where do you get these deal bro.
I just started Rowaphos for a couple days to reduce PO4 because I was having an brown algea/diatoms, not you guys made me regret I didn't read this post earlier :) Now I'm putting my Rowaphos to waste and will be ordering HC GFO
I wouldn't start throwing away your RowaPhos until you actually see that it is not helping with your algae problem.

I use BRS's regular gfo. Anyone know if it's the same as the HC but just a bit weaker?. I'm have a HA problem and though the front glass is cleaner, the algae is still growing.

thanks,
Albert

Back