Roy's List is here! Identification and care of stomatopods.

criscat777
Chances are that it is a Neogonodactylus wennerae. I have on ethat I keep with fast moving fish, and larger snails. Slow moving and ground dwelling fish may be considered food, bt I have never lost any damsels or faster moving fish with it. Smaller snails and hermit crabs though are looked at as food on the move.

wow I have this bookmarked to study. Since I have heard of the horror stories, (busting aquarium glass, severing fingers) I can now read some actual research instead of anecdotal information.:D

Love the list and thanks for all the info.

Also I was wondering, is there any mantis shrimp that you can pair up in a 20g aquarium?

I typically don't advise it because of the chance that one will kill the other when they molt. However, small species that are pretty much restricted to cavities such as Haptosquilla and Gonodactylellus can coexist if there are a number of tight fitting cavities in the live rock.

Roy

Hey Doc,
When I was conversing with you yesterday, I didn't realize what a celebrity you were. Gonodactylus caldwelli, very impressive! I am placing you in my pantheon of marine gods. Thanks again for your patient answers to my neophyte questions yesterday.
Yours, Batguano (aka James Saladino, self-proclaimed marine biologist and lawyer)

I love Roy's list. :cool:

Maybe I overlooked it, but is there info about the expected longevity of each mantis, or about how lighting will affect each mantis? I know some mantis' get shell rot or else change colour depending on the lighting. I figure this is good info to add, since the list is "Stomatopods for the Aquarium."

Putting both metric and imperial values would also be pretty cool.

I'm currently on the Great Barrier Reef chasing stomatopods. I have very limited email, so there isn't much I can do to modify the list. Bottom line with respect to longevity is that we have good data for only a few species. Most gonodactyloids live 4 - 7 years. Hemisquilla less - probably 4 or 5. Squillids about 3-4. Lysiosquillina up to 20. The best data we have are for Neogonodactylus which live 5 - 7.

I did try to provide lighting information based on depth. Species such as Neogonodactylus wennerae and G. affinis go pink or red below 10 m (blue light) and green shallower ( broad spectrum). Species such as Odontodactylus change little with depth.

As for metric, there are lots of good conversion programs on the web.

Back to pod catching.

Roy

Hello Dr.Roy. I have a question. I was wondering how common do you see shell disease in juvenile odontodactlyus scyllarus?, lets say around the size of 4 inchs. Ive read " on roys list i believe " that Large males are prone to Shell disease. Thanks for your time. and ejoy your time in the great barrier reef!. I visited Melbourne/Victoria one time. It was the greatest time of my life.
One more thing sorry i forgot. I read your mantis care and rearing page, and you recommended Supplementing Selco. What kind of product is selco?. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I have certainly seen shell disease in small O. s both in the lab and in the field. Because smaller O.s. molt fairly frequently, they are more likely to keep ahead of it, but if conditions are not optimal and/or molting is slowed, it can be lethal.

I don't try to push any particular product, but we have used Selco for several years as a supplement. It has a lot of fatty acids and vitamins. I sure that many other feeding supplements will work just as well.

Roy

First of all, thanks for the great list and information. For the list, I noticed that tank sizes appeared to be in liters or is this referring to long style tanks in gallons. Also are wennerae and affini the only ones to really change due to lighting in the aquarium. Thanks.

Tank sizes are in liters.

Color change with lighting and background color and pattern is common in many stomatopods - particularly gonodactyloids. It is most dramatic in a few species that occur over a wide depth range from the intertidal to > 30 m. Probably the most dramatic change in color and pattern is in Pseudosquilla ciliata, but Neogonodactylus wennerae and Gonodactylellus affinis also show dramatic shifts.

Roy

which one is the rainbow mantis?

I like tim, and I think i would like a rainbow mantis

I like tim, and I think i would like a rainbow mantis

Dr Roy,

I was gone one week for Camp and my friend was taking care of my tank, since I would take care of his while he was gone, he would do the same for me. We both had gotten rid of our large tanks because of a bad waterchange which killed almost everything in both of ours. The 5.5g mantis tank he was taking care of looked great but there was no sign of Manti and neither one of us knows where he went. I believe so far that my stone crab that he had been fighting and winning got the best of him. The problem is I found nothing left of Manti.

Is there something I'm missing?

Back