Sam's Stair-Stepping Nanos - The Complete Ecosystem

sam11909

Maxi Mini
Goal: To create a small thriving complete reef ecosystem that is controllable, efficient, and simple using multiple nanos to separate conflicting species of organisms.

Display Aquariums: All rimless, Mr. Aqua 17.4 gallon (24x12x14 inch), Mr. Aqua 11.4 gallon (19x12x12 inch), and Do!aqua 7.5 gallon (12x12x12 inch).

Sump: DIY acrylic, 22 gallons with 4 sections (55x9x14 inch).

Filtration: SWC 160 Cone Skimmer, filter sock, refugium, and algae turf scrubber.

Lighting: All LED except for 17.4g which will be supplemented with t5s. Overall 7 DIY LED fixtures with controllable color spectrums.

Powerheads: Koralia nanos, and a Vortech mp10 for the 17.4g.

Configuration: Peninsula style stair-stepping nanos starting with the 17.4g mixed reef, then taking one step down to the 11.4g bubble tip anemone and clownfish tank, then another step down to the 7.5g mini anemone and sexy shrimp tank, and finally ending up back in the sump which is the same length as all 3 nanos combined, giving a very simplistic and clean look. This design allows for 3 sides of all display tanks to be viewable. A frag section will also be included in the first section of the sump with a refugium all the way to the right which will include mangroves and macro algae. The sump and all equipment will be viewable with no doors added to give more simplicity. All electrical and water change components will be on the other side of the wall that the system comes in contact with. I realize this is hard to imagine, so I'll post a Google Sketchup as soon as possible.

Just FYI, this will be a pic intense thread once I get things up and running.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Sounds awesome! Although one issue you may run into is your ATS will out compete and starve the plants in your refugium of nutrients. You might want to consider making the fuge a cryptic DSB, or just more room for frags!

Can't wait to see it progress.

I'm planning to start it off as a fuge while my ATS is breaking in, but it will eventually house a wennerae mantis shrimp. one third of the fuge will be used as a DSB, I'll explain this later.

Google Sketchup of the Design

Google Sketchup of the Design

new_aquariums_sketchup_angle_2.jpg

That looks very nice. are you going to have the sump visible or are you going to put doors on the cabnet? Very neat and creative design I like it. It would be very nice as a divider between a kitchen and dinning room type thing. way better then just a blank wall.

Very cool, I'll be watching this one!
How do you get the water to only run out the one side? Or are you pumping down?

Thanks for the compliments!

That looks very nice. are you going to have the sump visible or are you going to put doors on the cabnet? Very neat and creative design I like it. It would be very nice as a divider between a kitchen and dinning room type thing. way better then just a blank wall.

There won't be any doors, the sump and all included equipment will be visible. And you guessed it, I will be using it to divide our dining area and living room. This way it will be more accessible and viewable than the average tank setup.

Very cool, I'll be watching this one!
How do you get the water to only run out the one side? Or are you pumping down?

Each tank will have an overflow and plumb into the next. The 11.4g and 7.5g will have bubble traps so that unwanted microbubbles do not come down from the previous overflow.

Last edited:
The Stand

The Stand

DIY stand made out of 2x4's and plywood. Surprisingly, it's very level on all three sections. Holes in the plywood are for plumbing and bulkheads. All electrical wires, plumbing, and lighting will be hidden underneath each section directly below all three tanks. Already painted it with a double coat of flat black; I'll post pictures soon.

IMG_9065.jpg

Back