Sam's Stair-Stepping Nanos - The Complete Ecosystem

It's been a really busy week for me, so not much to update on. All of my orders came in this past week, but all I've gotten to do is open the boxes. As I was putting the LEDs together I noticed there were a few things missing from my RapidLED order, so the LED project is on hold until the rest gets here. Hoping to finish the lighting soon.

I do have a small update :lol2:

100_1164.jpg

Might sound kind of silly, but does the mp10 require any sort of wave maker with it, or does it come with everything needed?

John

I haven't been able to do too much with this tank lately, but I thought I would post a small update. First of all, the bad news. I assembled my LED's and double checked all my connections before plugging it in for the first time. I plugged it in and soon found that I did something wrong. Sparks flew and panic quickly followed. I double checked everything and found that I had attached a normal power cord to my RapidLED controller instead of the 10v power supply included. Murphy got me and it turned out that I was able to fry the controller and all four Meanwell drivers, a $200 mistake. It was a hard lesson learned, but I know from now on I will always triple check everything and then check it again.

Now for some good news! :D The tanks got wet today! Just a water test for now, but it won't be long before it gets salty. Water flows flawlessly from one tank to the next with minimal noise. There are only a few easy adjustments to be made. I still need to silicone the overflows, bubble traps, and bulkheads. Siliconing the bulkheads to be safe. No sump yet so I had to use a 5g bucket. I should start working on the sump this week.

Wow, sorry to hear about the drivers. That's an expensive ouch! Your idea is really unique though and I am sure the build is going to turn out great. Tagging along.

I wish I had a good update, but I haven't had much time for this project. I'm finishing the overflow covers and ordering new parts for the LEDs as soon as I get some time. I'm also getting some acrylic cut for the sump as soon as I get the design down. At the moment I'm focusing on what kind of filtration types to include in this system. This was/is a major flaw in my existing tank. I know I will have a skimmer, filter sock, and algae scrubber, but I'm not sure what other types of filtration I should add or not add. Hopefully I'll have something to update about soon.

Thanks! I ordered the acrylic for the sump about a week ago and went to pick it up today, but they were closed. I won't be over there again until Monday, so the sump won't be done until next week sometime. I'm ordering the parts from rapid led as soon as possible, but still have to work out some things with them before I do. The most exciting thing right now is collecting and choosing what coral I want to put in the 17g. I might post some pics of some of them for you update hungary people. :D

really awesome setup man I cant wait to see it a year after final completion its going to be a real work of human ingenuity :)

Back