Sam's Stair-Stepping Nanos - The Complete Ecosystem

The set up looks very nice, I love the aquascaping.
It is January so time for a picture update! I am looking forward to seeing the scape take shape with coral and color!

+1 You came up with an interesting idea and ran with it. Excellent. Keep up the good work. We need more people like you on this board to keep things interesting.

Scott

Dealing with some issues with my current 55g reef so I haven't had too much time to work on this tank. I did ship the mag 7 back to Danner and ordered new drivers for my LED's. Both should hopefully be coming in at the end of this week. I really want to get water in this tank, but I would rather do it right the first time than try to fix it after it's up and running. My current 55g is a perfect example of rushing into setting up a tank too quickly. I really don't want to go through that again. I just hope the patience pays off.

Things that need to happen before water

1- Put drivers in LED fixture
2- Attach mag 7 to plumbing
3- Finish wiring to garage

I'll post pictures of the LED fixture later today.

LED lights for all three tanks. I still need to attach optics and drivers.

IMG_0018.jpg

Was it easier/cheaper to do that type LED vs PAR lights?

It was cheaper for functionality and intensity. I also can attach stronger optics to the two lights over the lower tanks. Once I have the lighting finished I'll post a full explanation of the design.

I like the Leds you got going on there but can I ask if you thought about hanging them? Your build is so unique and beautiful I would like to see your lights mounted differently. I used Par leds and mounted them inside of the Ikea paper shades. They are at different heights for the visual of walking into the room. But for your purpose they could follow the stair step theme you got going on and it would be way cool. Please take that as a suggestion not a criticism your build is very cool! Also you would only have to use hooks to hang the cords from the ceiling instead of the entire canapé your building. I am way to into this build you got. Keep up the good work and please post a video of this thing in operation. Heres a pix of mine over the 40 breeder mantis tank.

Attachments

• 40 Led mantis tank.jpg
    40 Led mantis tank.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1
Those look awesome! I wish I could do mine that way, but there are a couple of reasons I decided to go with the current design. First, I plan on having the bulky Mean Well drivers and LED controller with the lights inside the frame. Second, hanging the lights at different levels would be a problem for me because the lower lights would block the view of the upper tanks. When I do finish it, the light system will be hanging 2-3 feet below the ceiling above all three tanks (hence stronger optics for lower tanks). All wiring of power cords will go into the attic and then down into my garage. This should make it look really clean.

I should get to do a little more work on it this weekend. I'll try to post some pics of the progress then.

With some adjustment of the return flow, it was almost completely silent. I don't have any drain silencers but overflows are 3/4" with less than a foot drop to the next tank.

Where are the drivers for your LED's going? the light fixture is starting to grow on me. Any change in the rockwork? are you cycling that rock now or waiting til water gets in the whole system?

Back