Sam's Stair-Stepping Nanos - The Complete Ecosystem

Aquascape

Aquascape

Turns out aquascaping a nano is a lot harder than it looks. I had a general idea of what I wanted it to look like (minimalist, open, bonsai), but after 5-6 hours of experimenting with different designs, I finally created the perfect scape from marco rocks, 2 part epoxy, a drill, a chisel, the golden ratio, a lot of patience, and a plastic coat hanger.

17g reef tank

IMG_1739.jpg

The thought process behind having such a skeletal aquascape is that of the corals eventually shaping and bringing life to the sparse original rock structure. I just hope I can maximize the space to its fullest utilizing different species of coral.

11g BTA tank

IMG_1743.jpg

All three

IMG_1749.jpg

Thanks guys!

Not much of an update, but I got the acrylic for the sump yesterday. Here's the final sump design.

Untitled.png

Sweet idea i have actually been thinking abt doing something like this! cant wait to see it running

What a wonderful idea you have going. This is a great out of the box build.
I would like to know how you built your stand? How are the horizontal 2x4s conected to the vertical 2x4s? I know there is not alot of weight sitting on your platforms but if one of them starts to sag or shift it may cause a ripple effect. Also the vertical 2x4s should be setting on a base plate of some type.
Keep the pics flowing this is a great build

Thanks guys! Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy lately.

I would like to know how you built your stand? How are the horizontal 2x4s conected to the vertical 2x4s? I know there is not alot of weight sitting on your platforms but if one of them starts to sag or shift it may cause a ripple effect. Also the vertical 2x4s should be setting on a base plate of some type.

The horizontal 2x4's are connected to the vertical with two diagonal screws going through the top and bottom of the horizontal boards into the vertical boards. I hope this makes sense. The vertical 2x4's are sitting directly level with the tile floor. It should be adequate for what I'm doing.

Thanks guys! Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy lately.

The horizontal 2x4's are connected to the vertical with two diagonal screws going through the top and bottom of the horizontal boards into the vertical boards. I hope this makes sense. The vertical 2x4's are sitting directly level with the tile floor. It should be adequate for what I'm doing.

You are right it will be plenty for the weight that is being set on top of it. Sometimes people dont think of things like that. LOL.
The vertical 2xs will hold the weight, Just never seen it done that way.

Your sump is nice. 3/8 mat.? What goes were? From left to right.
I think with all the baffles in there you will have very little deflection. Have you done a water test on it yet?

Back