Sam's Stair-Stepping Nanos - The Complete Ecosystem

I would think you are going to need more structure on the top, at least one brace, even with all the baffles. Other than That looks awesome!

In the beginning I had planned to have a center brace, but after talking with the guy who cut the pieces for me I decided to leave it out since it would probably not be necessary for what I am doing. He does a good number of aquariums and sumps, so I trust his judgement. It's only 9 inches wide and the water will only be 8 inches deep at max in the 2 center sections, so I'm not too worried. It also snugly fits into the stand with 2 2x4 on each side near the center. Therefore it really would not be able to bow out very easily.

You are right it will be plenty for the weight that is being set on top of it. Sometimes people dont think of things like that. LOL.
The vertical 2xs will hold the weight, Just never seen it done that way.

Your sump is nice. 3/8 mat.? What goes were? From left to right.
I think with all the baffles in there you will have very little deflection. Have you done a water test on it yet?

I'm glad you mentioned that. That's why build threads are such a good idea, somebody else may see something that you wouldn't have. I made sure to personally test each section with 150+ lbs each. :bounce1: :lol:

The sump is made out of 1/4". Heres the order from left to right in the second picture.

filter sock/frag tank/skimmer/bubble trap/return section/fuge or pod zone/bubble trap for ATS

The ATS is fed by the return pump which tee's off to supply water to the DT and the ATS + fuge section of the sump.

Samuel, the sump looks great. I would tend to agree with you, I do not think you will need eurobracing, or any other bracing on this sump.

Looking forward to seeing this tank up and running.

Did a water test, no leaks or bowing. :celeb1: Forgot to mention that I put an extra strip of acrylic on every seem just to reinforce.

Sam
Great job on your setup! The sump looks like it came from PM's custom fab shop.

What is your Wish list of Livestock/Coral for each tank?

+1 Subscribed

Thanks man! I want to fit so much into these nano's, but I'm currently in the process of weeding out any livestock that I do not absolutely love. I would rather grow a few frags into large colonies than have a tank full of frags, so I am limiting myself to the few favorites in my 55g and the few worthy frags that I might stumble upon later. Here's the most up to date stocking list for each tank.

17g Reef
- Fish: White banded possum wrasse, tailspot blenny, and a pair of green banded gobies
- Coral: SPS with a focus on tenius, tort, echinata, digitata, millipora and a very select capricornis. Also a kryptonite candy cane, dendro, and fungia. Definitely need to find a stunning photosynthetic gorgonian also.

11g BTA
- Fish: 2 ocellaris clownfish that have been with me since the beginning.
- Inverts: Porcelain crab
- BTA's: Green, true rose, and any other type I can find (flame, lemon drop).

7g Mini Anemone
- Fish: Most likely none.
- Inverts: Sexy shrimp and misc. other species of anemone shrimp.
- Mini anemones: As many different morphs of maxi mini's as I can find and rock flower aneomens.

Did a water test, no leaks or bowing. :celeb1: Forgot to mention that I put an extra strip of acrylic on every seem just to reinforce.

I know where you are coming from. My first acrylic build had a seam failure. ( I tore the tank down before it burst) So the next large build I put these in ALL the inside corners (even the bottom)
110_2575.jpg

110_2620.jpg

I have not seen a White banded possum wrasse, but I have seen a yellow banded possum wrasse. From what I know about them is they are very shy.

A Purple Ribbon Gorgonia would look nice and are cheap.

While you are in the planning stages.. have you ever thought about seahorses?

They tend to be shy, but I'm hoping that having a nano and no aggressive fish will bring him out. They do seem to get lost in bigger tanks.

Definitely adding that one to my list. I've been looking for a purple brush gorgonian.

I have thought about seahorses, but temperature, flow and anemones are the main concern. I couldn't keep them in the reef tank because of high flow, and I couldn't keep them in either anemone tanks because of the nems. I also wouldn't be able to have the optimum temperature of 78-80 for the reef.

more updates!!! this looks like an awesome build! just skimmed through this on my lunch break can u recap on what type of livestock between tanks you will be having?

No water yet, but it's coming soon. The sump is in the stand and fits perfectly. Water tested the plumbing and sump and it all runs smothly. The only thing holding me up right now is my return pump. The mag 7 I ordered from MD was excessively loud so Danner sent me a new impeller that was just as loud as the first. So, I have to ship the pump to them to get a new pump body. That will probably take about a week. In the meantime I'm going to finish the LED's and junction box for the electrical to go between the tank and the garage. Planning on putting saltwater in at the beginning of January.

I've learned that patience is the number one hardest thing to apply in this hobby, but it's also the number one way to succeed.

The livestock list has changed a bit for each tank.

17g- Almost completely SPS with the exception of a few LPS. For fish I'm going to have a possum wrasse, tailspot blenny, sapphire damsel, and a pair of green banded gobies.

11g- Mini anemones including maxi mini's and rock flower nem's, maybe a few gorgonian to break the aquascape. The only fish in this tank will be my two ocellaris clownfish.

7g- This one will be a local/soft coral tank including gorgonian, warty anemones, and a huge orange yuma. Planning on getting a single rock and wennerae mantis from Tampa Bay Saltwater.

Mag 7s can be loud. I Am using a Deep Blue Submerable pump, that is very quiet, engery efficent compared to mag drive, and cheap!

Back