Sebae spawning, need help!!

allen00se

Tonight right after lights out my dad noticed that my aquarium was cloudy, we kicked the lights back on to find that my sebae anemone had hundreds of little green balls (i assume these are eggs) all around it and all throughout the water column. I assume that this was a spawning event. None of the other livestock seem affected so far, except for a torch coral that is deflated. has anyone had experience with a spawning like this, will my tank be ok? The sebae is about 8-10 inches when fully open, and my system has about 65-70 gallons of total water volume. I just recently put a fresh bag of carbon in, and I was planning on doing a water change tomorrow.
Thanks for any help.
Krys

Well, things usually can handle it, though at other times, it can be catastrophic. Mine does it 4-5x a year (sometimes more) and mine is a bit more than double that size, so mine may be a bit worse on my particular system (though, there are many variables involved there). However, I can tell you that unless you do significant water changes, it will probably smell up your entire house. AFter that, throw in some carbon and take things as usual, maybe skip feeding for a few days. It will take it a while to recover, maybe a week or longer, depending upon how much water you change. If it is any consolation, I have never had anything die (knock on wood) in these spawning events.

Well good news to report, as of last night everything was alive and doing well, we just did a five gallon water change and ran some carbon. I guess the good news here is that my anemone must be doing pretty well in my tank, from what I have heard they will only spawn when healthy.
i will try and get some pics up so that this thread isnt deemed worthless.

Back