shotgun wads

scottp

hey everybody just wanted to see if shotgun shell wads where good to use as a media source in a wet/dry filter.I read about it somewhere and just wanted to check and see, thank you

Unfired wads would probably work, but they won't have near the surface area that bioballs would have. I wouldn't go collect wads from my local skeet range to use though. Also make sure you wash them REAL well since they will most likely have leftover greases and oils from the manufacturing.

I have never bought bio-balls, they can't be that expensive can they?

double post- sorry

double post- sorry

welcome to reef central!

also, most wads have bits of lead dust from where the shot was sitting. Powder too. None of what you want in your tank.

I used brand new shotgun wads about 10 years ago in a WD for my African tank. It's a big no-no in a reef though. It will become a nitrate factory. You're better off using live rock rubble.

shutgun wads (new) will work Ok for a wet dry, but I agree with Mayoboy if this is for a a reeftank, you really do not want a wet dry filter. they are not needed and can actually be detrimental to the water quality.

Kim

instead of a wet dry filter spend the money on a good skimmer. thats is a must for good water quality.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you have a Kevlar sump.:uzi:

Combining two hobbies into one. Love it:dance:

thanks everyone If i go this way it would be with new shot wads.I've had my 75 sw fish only now for about 10 years in there now is my bannded cat shark in the process of getting a bigger tank.But i bought a 67gal was thinking to start a reef type tank figured a wet/dry with skimmer would be good filters but i guess i'll have to look into something different thank you (just in case you wanted to see
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/nomadfkr/DSC00022.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/nomadfkr/000_0156.jpg )

best off just buying bioballs. i have used lavarock with seccuss. you can get a big bag for $5 at lowes in the grilling section.

Back