Pond!

Tyem

Hello everybody! I am thinking about a small 100 gal saltwater pond. I am new to ponds and for now i am just thinking. What would be a list of things to get for a saltwater pond? I am planning if i do continue with this on stocking it with a moray of some sort for sure. Thanks everybody!

I am not sure where your location is but temperature control is going to be extremely critical, both heating and cooling.

What’s your plan to construct the pond? That will help figure out what equipment to use.

It will be in my basement. It will be a species only eel tank. It will be one of those like pools for kids that you see online (not inflatable one though).

Thanks!

It will be in my basement. It will be a species only eel tank. It will be one of those like pools for kids that you see online (not inflatable one though).

Thanks!
The ones that are PVC with a liner?

FWIW, not only do we have my reef tank, we also have a small pond in the backyard and an above ground pool. So, I should be able to help think through this with you as I have experience with all these;)

Okay, so it looks like a either a steel or resin frame with a vinyl liner. Home Depot's website says it's a steel frame but in the specs, it says it's a resin frame. If it's a steel frame (depending on how well it's powder coated or painted) there is some concern over rust from exposure to saltwater.

You'll definitely want to put some kind of padding under the pool to help insulate and buffer against any rocks you're going to put in there.

I can't find a reference to how thick their liners are but you might want to consider putting some pond liner down on the inside bottom of the pool to help ensure the liner doesn't get punctured.

It looks like at least some of their pools come with a filter. Which leads me to believe that there are bulkheads built in the liner which will allow you to hook up whatever filtration you decide to use. I'm thinking you'll want to use some sort of cannister filter since I can't wrap my brain around how you'd put in an overflow. As most small pool filters use 1" to 1.5" pipe/tubing you'll have to figure out a way to plumb it since hobby filters have smaller tubing. I'd have to see what you're dealing with to start thinking about how to do that.

Now, are far as equipment (IMO) that's all going to depend on the size of the pool (I didn't see any Bestway 100 gallon pools) and what you want to keep in it. So, let's start by deciding which pool you have room for and (besides the eel) what else you want to keep in it. Remember, eels are messy eaters so, your filtration will need to be pretty robust.

Last edited:
Okay I changed my mind and i am going for a bigger tank. Now that i see it i think the Home depot one is good!
Now that I changed to that pond it is now 317 gal tank. Now with a bigger tank i might just add two small eels to it!

Okay I changed my mind and i am going for a bigger tank. Now that i see it i think the Home depot one is good!
Now that I changed to that pond it is now 317 gal tank. Now with a bigger tank i might just add two small eels to it!
Another thing to keep in mind, you're going to really increase the humidity in the house/basement with a tank that large.

When I had my 450 with a large sump (can't remember the volume of the sump), I had to mitigate the humidity in the basement. I was fortunate as I knew someone in HVAC. He helped me install a vent controlled by a humidistat. If the humidity in the in the basement exceeded a certain amount, it would kick on the vent fan and blow air to the outside. While this helped quite a bit, I also had to run a dehumidifier on occasion.

So, once you get the pool, post some pictures and we can figure out how best to filter it.

Also, do you plan on live rock and/or coral? I'm thinking ahead to lighting. This is 7.25' long, almost 5' deep and 17" tall so depending on inhabitants, your lighting budget could get a bit costly.

So the humidity will get higher? Maybe a 317 gallon tank is not necessary for just two little morays (prob snowflakes) too keep the humidity in check

Minimum tank size for a Snowflake Eel is 50 gallons. They also require a tightly sealed aquarium since they are good escape artists. This reminded my of the Snowflake Eel my parents had when I was a teen. They had it in a 200 gallon fish only aquarium with lids. Despite all their precautions, he routinely would end up in the sump, I assume from going through the HOB overflow.

Back