Should I get a dwarf lion or not???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6524063#post6524063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koden
that sucks that you guys have crappy LFS's. I have about 10 within 30 minutes driving from my house, with only 1 that sucks.
ib6thavenueaquariumistheonethatsucks

a bit off off topic, but on the subject of lion fish, a year or so back my buddy had one, a violitan and I had a porcupine puffer, both came down w/ cases of ich and they went into quarantine together into a 40g. The puffer was a little more than half the size of the lionfish. The first couple of days all was well and the ich was nearly gone, both fish marginally eating. Later we noticed the lionfish fins and spines werent looking right, well right in front of our eyes the puffer would circle the lionfish, the lion fish would keep maneuvering to keep his spines pointed at the puffer, then the puffer would attack and bite off the lion's spines, The lionfish would make a sudden move and try to bite or jab the puffer, the puffer would puff a little and start circling again. It seems cruel now, but we continued to watch for a little while fascinated by this duel. After a while, we found some acrylic and put a divider in the QT. Well the Lion fish a good 6-7 long died the next day, and the puffer went a few days later. Suffice to say, those are two that may not be a good idea to keep together.

I have a small predator tank in which I originally kept a fuzzy dwarf lion. He did wonderfully for about a month, readily ate silversides and swam frequently. One day he blanched white, stopped eating and died 3 days later. I have no idea how it happened. My parameters were ok. Lions are also highly sensitive to copper, as they're scaleless.

Now I have a leaffish in there, and he's been going strong for 2 months. It's true, they are very, very cool. They don't grow beyond 4", don't require swimming room (many keep them in tanks from 5g to 20g as long as they're the only inhabitant) and they have those awesome rhinestone mirror eyes. And yes, they are relatives of lions as evidenced from the similar head shape, so that might satiate you. They're expensive though. I think I got mine for $60. He also does NOT take frozen.

I also have an angler who is similarly awesome and easy to care for.

As to the issue of lion tankmates...

NO fish under 5"
NO crustaceans
Corals are OK

Personally, I wouldn't risk my clownfish. As others said, maybe its a good time for a new tank.

Sandman - I think all puffers are classified as fin nippers and definitely should be kept with lions are any other fish with larger fins.

Back