Should I get a dwarf lion or not???

look into leaf-fish.

they get colorful, still have the "it can sting ya" coolness aspect to it

can be kept and also hunt in packs

and only get around 4 inches!!!

other interesting animals are scorpians and angler/frogs. they all eat fish =)

a fumanchu lionfish is the smallest, though it may eat clownfish =/

well I was thinking, what if I get a very small lionfish like 3"? I can worry about what fish it is going to eat after it grows, right?

fishykid: fumanchu lionfish. Didn't I already post? I think there is selective reading going on here. Fumanchu lionfish's full size is about 3.5", so unless it's an adult it will be 3" or smaller.

As long as it's body is larger than a fish, it may be able to eat it.

I've read a lot of people keeping a fumanchu with clownfish (adult ocellaris) without a problem. Baby clowns will probably be hunted at night. If they're well fed they won't go for fish that are borderline large.

Plus, out of the dwarf lionfish, the fumanchu is the cooolest and most unique looking IMO.

Ask your fish store to order it for you. Don't buy it online. Once your fish store gets it in stock, have them QT it for awhile until it starts to eat. They ship very badly, so it is very important to find one healthy. Any good fish store will understand that fumanchu's ship poorly and will definately do this for you. At least 4 of the LFS's I've gone to and asked said they would do this for me for sure.

One LFS has 4 of them, and it's a small little LFS. They get them regularily because customers want them. Just goto your LFS and have them order it.

Don't buy online =P Plus they all vary in color, sometimes you can get some with florescent blue on their fins. Some are brown, some are very red. go check it out. it will be difficult to find one you like, but you won't regret it. This hobby is all about patience.

I wish you were right but I highley doubt my fish store will order it. :( I was just thinking of getting a dwarf lion when I can find one that's very small and worry about it after it grows, what do you think? As long as it doesn't sting any other fish.

I wouldn't recommend it. Why don't you go ask the fish store before assuming? They might just do it.

Otherwise if you want to buy online, liveaquaria or marinedepotlive are very good.

Don't compromise and settle for something that will eat your fish. Why worry later? It grows fast btw. You'll have to worry sooner than later. Other fish won't get stung, unless they try to eat it or attack it.

Dn't get a dwarf, it will eat your fish sooner than you think. Plus there are about 8 different dwarf lionfish: zebra, mobasa, fuzzy, fumanchu, etc. They're all somewhat different.

goto wetwebmedia and figure out which one you want. Maybe it will be small enough.

The lionfish that I had (the one that ate my clown) was a FuManCu lionfish as well. He was easily 5" long. IME, they are bigger than 3" - I don't know where you got that 3" max length. He ate a tomato clownfish that was probably 2.5" in length.

But, I don't know, he seemed pretty tame most of the time. I had a scooter blenny in there too, and honestly, the blenny was the most incompetent swimmer, and just lazily swam in front of the lion all the time. He never got eaten.

But, IMO, if you care about the fish you have in there right now, I wouldn't add one. To me, it would just be too risky. Kinda like keeping a pet wolf or something. Never really quite tamed. If you are willing to risk the other fish (sounds like you are set on a lionfish of some sort) then go for it.

and, personally...

I have a crappy LFS, and wouldn't LET them put anything in my tanks, even after the 300% mark-up. I used to work there, and I KNOW that I have a better chance at ordering online than through them.

liveaquaria.com
themarinecenter.com <---my FAVORTIE!!!

that sucks that you guys have crappy LFS's. I have about 10 within 30 minutes driving from my house, with only 1 that sucks.

The biggest problem most folks have with lions is their tendency to overfeed them. As long as you only feed 2-3 times/week at MOST, they can work in a reef. (And as long as they don't eat your other fishies!
Zac

If I get a small dwarf lion and take out my ocelarric clown and blue damsel, will I be safe? The smallest fish would be a 2" chromis. Will it work?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6524816#post6524816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishykid9212
If I get a small dwarf lion and take out my ocelarric clown and blue damsel, will I be safe? The smallest fish would be a 2" chromis. Will it work?
A 2" chromis? Notice a pattern at all forming in this thread? :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6508788#post6508788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ejmeier
He won't sting them, but he *will* inhale them. :D Just like popcorn.
and
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6508752#post6508752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gobie
I wouldnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t put a lion in your tank they will eat your clowns. If it will fit in their mouth they will eat it.
and
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6510648#post6510648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JENnKerry
Dwarf lions are great. THey can be kept with your current fish as long as they can't fit in its mouth.
and
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6512186#post6512186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangreef68
it depends how big your fish are, anything that can fit inside the lion's mouth will be eaten.
and
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6521415#post6521415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koden
As long as it's body is larger than a fish, it may be able to eat it.
Sorry, I just couldn't resist doing that. ;)

Back