Siliconing glass baffles..

That is some good advice on caulking techniques for people who don't do it that often.

I have to caulk every day at my job. I install anywhere from 10-40 cultured marble bathroom vanities a day, using both latex caulk and silicone. I've found that once you get used to the motions of it all, it becomes easier, faster, and cleaner, to cut the tip off straight, either drag the bead or hold the gun at a 90 degree angle to your seam, and wipe using firm pressure, not with your finger tip, but with the 'pad' of your finger below the first knuckle.

I've found that pushing the bead, like on the directions of most caulking tubes, usually ends up with a big wad of caulk all over the tip and a groove in your bead. Wiping with the tip of your finger sometimes digs the bead out of the seam because your finger tip is soft and forms to the shape of your bead.

We also use damp cloths made of old t-shirts to wipe with. Keeps the caulk off our hands, and lets us fold any caulk we wipe off into the rag.

As I said, these are techniques for pros only. If you try this as a beginner, you won't have good results.

It is sooo lame that I am a pro at caulking... *sigh*

But I can fully caulk and wipe a 10 foot vanity in less than 3 minutes!

i need a hug..

is 3/32" glass that I got at HD too thin? It's WAY cheaper than 1/4" glass from the glass co

First, you are replying to a thread from 2009.....Just Saying.

Second, 3/32" is .09375" thick. The reason it is CHEAP is because it is meant for PICTURES. I got all my glass for $40. You are trying to be penny smart but you run the risk of being dollar foolish.

Good Luck,

Yes 3/32 is too this. While only 1/32 thinner than 1/8. 1/8 is called double strength. And 3/32 is single strength.

While I'm sure some more careless than yourself have used it, it would be dangerous to use 3/32

where does one get 1/4" glass? I've called around here, and neither home improvement store sells 1/4" glass...and the glass shops around here deal with windshields and other automotive types.

where does one get 1/4" glass? I've called around here, and neither home improvement store sells 1/4" glass...and the glass shops around here deal with windshields and other automotive types.

Where are you? I had to do some chasing around to finally find a glass shop that carried it - found it shortly after I asked if 1/8" would work.

You could ask the auto glass shops where to go, or Google could be your friend. I just typed in bigger cities around me (I live in a small town) like "Town Name glass shop" and looked at what came up. Turned out I had a decent one in town. A phone call quickly answered all my questions.

First, you are replying to a thread from 2009.....Just Saying.
Well yeah! It's an awesome thread and addresses my needs perfectly!

Second, 3/32" is .09375" thick. The reason it is CHEAP is because it is meant for PICTURES.

Great point. I was not really feeling good about using it - it breaks really easily but I was thinking it would be fine for sump usage... but after your comment, I can easily see a case where I'm moving something around in there and POW, shards of glass in my sump.

I got all my glass for $40. You are trying to be penny smart but you run the risk of being dollar foolish.
Where did you get your glass?? I live in Reston, Va so not THAT far from your rocket launching :) The quotes I've gotten so far for 1/4" glass was 70-90 bucks.

btw, not to hijack my own response, but how possible is it to see those launches?

Back