Skimmer: ASM/Deltec/Tunze

Norboo

Premium Member
I have a 54 gallon corner bow that I will setup as reef tank with live rocks and live sand. Sump is 30 gallon with refugium.
Which size/model will work best for my setup?

Pro and cons on overflow draining straight into the skimmer.

Deltec
ASM
Tunze
others?

Better half set the spending limit to $500 max on skimmer.

Thank you.

If I am a real good boy, I might persuade her to bump the spending limit to fit the Deltec price. Who has the best prices on Deltec?

Pro and cons on overflow draining straight into the skimmer.

mod a euro-reef

mod a euro-reef

What I did was buy a 8-1 euro-reef blem from H2O tropical 370.00
Then buy a 12" piece of acrylic tube 8" o.d. from mcmaster-carr 38.00 Cut the neck off the euro-reef at the seam. use weld on 4 and bond the 12 " piece on top, then bond the neck on top of that. the euro-reef pump can be plumbed to the over flow.

T o upgrade to a much better pump buy a eheim 1262 $120.00
replace the impeller with a needle wheel impeller for a 1260 eheim from finsreef $120.00 this will give you a powerfull skimmer for $648.00

If you need pics or more info let me know.
:D

OK of those units you mention only a deltec offers the ability to directly feed the skimmer from the overflow. The ASM requires mods to do that and you can't do it with the Tunze.

The Tunze is a interesting unit. I have the smallest of the new DOC units on my office 55g and it definitely produces skimmate and it's really quiet. It does NOT overwhelm you with bubble/foam production etc....but it definitely works. It's very hard to "compare" it to the others, but if you like Tunze, you'll like this skimmer. But do NOT expect to plug this thing in and see oodles of foam.

ASM will be your bargain unit. Again, it "works". Just drop it in and turn it on.

If you can stretch for a Deltec then I'd go that route. The AP600 is PLENTY for a 54g tank.

Finally, yeah you can get into all sorts of I got this blem and this mod etc... and if you're a DIYer (I am not) then go for it.

Finally if this is your "final" tank, ie there ain't no way short of moving that you're gonna upgrade for several years, then stretch the budget every which way. If this is just a step on the road though....maybe start out with something more modest to gain experience and then when you setup the "dream" system...

Back