Skimmer choices

tassy

10×10 sump space. 7" depth. 90 gal. heavy bio load. 300$ buget. Been looking at a Reef Octopus classic 152s. Mostly because of a water depth. I believe it would fit corner to corner. Your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thnx

John

Last edited:
10×10 sump space. 7" depth. 90 gal. heavy bio load. 300$ buget. Been looking at a Reef Octopus classic 152s. Mostly because of a water depth. I believe it would fit corner to corner. Your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thnx

John

Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 90-175 gal 6.3X 8.7 $290

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...uariums_Reefs-AquaMaxx-UJ00154-FIPSIS-vi.html

IceCap K2-160 120-200 gal 6.7X 8 $350

http://www.coralvue.com/icecap-k2-160-protein-skimmer

The skimmers above run sicce pumps that are proven. The Aquatrance that reef octopus runs is very quiet and uses very little power compared to the Sicce pumps but I dont know if they last I had mine for 1 year before I sold it. With a 90+gal system i would expect to pay more than $300 for a good skimmer. I recommend you look up video reviews on any skimmer you are considering so that you can know what kind of noise and performance to expect.

check out the ReefDynamics INS80S or the 135S with the sicce at aquarium solutions. They may still have some left. Mine rocks at 6.5 inches with plenty of adjustment to go wet or dry. Quiet too .

The CO1 is a great little skimmer but would be hard pressed to yield good results at 7 inches unless you had a heavy bioload.

The CO1 is a great little skimmer but would be hard pressed to yield good results at 7 inches unless you had a heavy bioload.

I just set up CO-1 on a 90G tank of mine and it's in about 6" of water and it's doing just fine. There is plenty of room for adjustment via the skimmers valve to accommodate 7" of water. I will be dropping my skimmer stand a couple inchese so the drain on the skimmer is submerged but the skimmer will work just fine in 7" of water.

If you adjust the level in the sump to about 8" that would be best so you don't get the noise from the water draining out of it.

And I thought this thread was dead. That's awesome thanks for all the choices I love to research. Right now I'm leaning towards the aquamaxx. I am currently running an SCA 302 not very happy maybe I don't have enough bioload. It works but very very wet skim. And very touchy. Although I'm getting better with it. Thanks for all the input the more the merrier.

John

Take a look at the bubble magus curve 7. It's a great performing budget minded skimmer. I'm running the curve 5 and really like it.

And I thought this thread was dead. That's awesome thanks for all the choices I love to research. Right now I'm leaning towards the aquamaxx. I am currently running an SCA 302 not very happy maybe I don't have enough bioload. It works but very very wet skim. And very touchy. Although I'm getting better with it. Thanks for all the input the more the merrier.

John

I noticed the same, wet skim. I'm still learning as it is only about a month old. I don't mind the wet skim. I do notice when the skim cup is producing skimmate the nitrates are lower.

I do get some pretty good gunk in the neck but it never seems to overflow into the cup. Will look into life Reef.

Thnx

John

How about thoughts on the aquamaxx coneS Q2? And would it work in 7" of water?

Last edited:
How about thoughts on the aquamaxx coneS Q2? And would it work in 7" of water?

The CO-1 is just fine in 7" of water. The only issue is the drain height on the CO-1 as it will make some noise at that height. The CO-2 is pushing it size wise IMO and would be inconsistent on such a small (relative to the skimmer size) system. The drain is however lower on the CO-2 and wouldn't make noise at 7" sump depth.

I noticed the same, wet skim. I'm still learning as it is only about a month old. I don't mind the wet skim. I do notice when the skim cup is producing skimmate the nitrates are lower.

So you haven't had it long, it's not performing very good and your recommending he purchase one.

The sca skimmers are not very good. There's a lot of things available that are far superior.

I own a skimz, it's ok, my next skimmer will be a deltec 1455 but for the money I think the nyos and aquamaxx are decent options.

Back