Skimmer Help

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
I have an OLD eshopps cone skimmer. It's the type with a seam on one side of the cone. I noticed last night that bubbles are literally pouring out of the seam. I believe that over time, the acrylic has started to separate on this seam. I really would prefer to not have to buy a new skimmer right now. Would it be possible to use one of the thicker grades of Weld-On to seal it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have an OLD eshopps cone skimmer. It's the type with a seam on one side of the cone. I noticed last night that bubbles are literally pouring out of the seam. I believe that over time, the acrylic has started to separate of this seam. I really would prefer to not have to buy a new skimmer right now. Would it be possible to use one of the thicker grades of Weld-On to seal it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
That's what I would do. Even a strip of silicone if all it has to do it seal the crack (but you'll have to wait longer to use it with silicone).

That's what I would do. Even a strip of silicone if all it has to do it seal the crack (but you'll have to wait longer to use it with silicone).
Thank you. That's what I was thinking. I think I have some Weld-On on my tool bench. I'll probably give that a try first since I'll soon be dosing the Dr. Tim's Re-Fresh and Waste-Away combo. I want the skimmer ready in case the tank clouds up when dosing that.

Hello griss, I am new here. Maybe try some UV resin, it cures fast and hard with a UV light. I use it on many things plastic needing repair.

Hello griss, I am new here. Maybe try some UV resin, it cures fast and hard with a UV light. I use it on many things plastic needing repair.
Thank you. Is that something you can get at a hardware store?

Found this in the archive and two of the responses state to use Weld-On to repair almost the exact same issue I'm having.

That said, one of the responses says NOT to use Weld-On as it will cause the acrylic to crack or craze due to eShopps flame polishing their acrylic. I don't believe that to be the case. Here's why. About 5 years ago, while cleaning the skimmer, I dropped the collection cup and broke it into two pieces. I was able to use Weld-On to glue the two pieces back together with no issues. That repaired collection cup is still in use today.

I do have some Weld-On. Skimmer cleaned and soaking in vinegar to remove Ca buildup before trying to seal it.

Here’s what I was dealing with
F40328CB-020F-4D43-BCC3-AD963BE802E8.jpeg

Here’s the repair to the cup. I know, it’s ugly but has worked for 5 years.

6AC6CD9A-41DE-41E0-B55F-39C86F199E9D.jpeg

Back