Skimmer level drops during feeding?

jaybfresh

Pitcher Hill Reef Society
Not really a problem, but I find it strange the level in my skimmer goes down during feeding. In my simpleton brain, adding a bunch of small dead animals to the tank would make the skimmer level rise. What would cause it to drop?

The oils in the food interfere with foam fractioning, so the bubbles in your skimmer burst sooner than they normally would, creating less foam.

Oils tend to emulsify. These globules could interrupt the foam fractioning, therefore, less bubbles.

Purely a guess, but you know what they say about oil and water.

ancient-aliens-guy-im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg

oils on your hands will do it too.Put your hand in the water to rearrange a rock or something then watch the skimmer.Rinse your hands in tapwater before putting them in the tank and watch the skimmer.

-Steve

Here's the next question... why does my skimmer overflow after a water change? Using reef crystals and the RODI unit is practically new. I've been changing 10% weekly and each time I need to turn the skimmer off for a couple hours

This is speculative on my part, but I wonder if it has something to do with the "extra vitamins" or the "metal detoxifiers" they market as being in the reef crystals product?

I have no idea ,but that would be my guess to, Nate.Those are organics so that makes sense.
My skimmer does the same thing J .not to the degree of having to shut it down but I can clearly notice the extra foaming right after a water change.

- Steve

Mine overflows so I remove cup for a couple hours til everything settled down. If I change the bag it does the same thing but not as bad.

Back