Skimmer Problem

I think if the problems grows the sump will be pulled out to behind the tank not under so i have room to make the equipment function properly...this will be one to think out

dude there is no thinking involved here. im assuming this is for the sps system you want right? if you cannot have a skimmer on this tank the way it is now, then you need to fix it before you start sps. plus you will need some other pieces of equipment for sps and u will need the space, take it out from under the tank and do it right

dude there is no thinking involved here. im assuming this is for the sps system you want right? if you cannot have a skimmer on this tank the way it is now, then you need to fix it before you start sps. plus you will need some other pieces of equipment for sps and u will need the space, take it out from under the tank and do it right

Sounds pretty demeaning to me guys. Let him figure it out. Everyone has their own way of doing things. One of the ABSOLUTE best show tanks in Rochester doesn't even use RODI... not even sure it has a skimmer.

1 thing at a time!

figure out your skimmer and space issue first, then start testing your alk and ca and go from there. usually earlier you can just do regular water changes but i test frequently as it grows. i dose 2 part via dosers. too much trouble with ca reactors id say but its easier to produce high levels of ca and alk. but this is my opinion. BRS has made it cheaper to dose manually these days via 2 part recipes. (BRS cost is about 3 bucks a gallon)

didnt mean to be demeaning.....ill calm down now

any and everything i say is just my opinion and from my experience. i have seen some very nice tanks without the use of RODI also

Sounds pretty demeaning to me guys. Let him figure it out. Everyone has their own way of doing things. One of the ABSOLUTE best show tanks in Rochester doesn't even use RODI... not even sure it has a skimmer.
if you mean TRS's... Tom has been running a 24" Lifereef skimmer on that for as long as I know.
A 24" tall skimmer usually fits in a commercially manufactured 75 gallon stand and that's the same skimmer I ran on my 75.

In a month a thread will pop up "my sps is dying.....help"

The best advice I ever received was " Do it right from the beginning or dont do it at all."

Take the time and fix the issue. It will suck for a few hours but make the process work out in the ling haul.

Im still a little baffled how you cant fit a skimmer....Can you post a picture or something? I truly find it hard to believe you do not have enough room. What skimmer are you trying to use and what is the size or model of your pump?

I have a 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump below it and honestly I have room for a another 20 down there and a case of beer.

if you cant find a skimmer that fits you could always make a DIY one to fit.

In a month a thread will pop up "my sps is dying.....help"

The best advice I ever received was " Do it right from the beginning or dont do it at all."

Take the time and fix the issue. It will suck for a few hours but make the process work out in the ling haul.

try not to hijack threads to much ;) beacuse i dont think ill have that thread itll probally be "people who try to hijack threads are annoying":spin1:

I never had a skimmer on my last reef tank and some of my sps were growing out of the water. Corals don't know what equipment you have. All they care about is proper water chemistry and light.

That said, I absolutely agree with designing the system right from the start. Take the time and do it right.

With large Sps specific systems in my opinion you should have a skimmer. I'd say Smaller Sps specific systems can definitely get away with regular water changes and no skimmer, but then again its my opinion. Sorry that I stirred the pot here, sorry guys

Back