Skimmer Question

vanmle

In Memoriam
I turn my standard Euroreef into a recirculating skimmer and it is performing great. 3-4 times more skimmage than my old ASM G-3 on slightly higher bioload (I started feed about 30% more than before but the fish load is the same). Of course, it is consuming 3x more power than the G3 but that is a different topic.

My question is this: Whenever I feed, even if it is just mysis shrimp the skimmer effectively shuts down for a few hours. Does this happen to you also?

I would like to know your experience with your skimmers at feeding time and other times when it does not perform as you would expect.

Thanx.

Why do you think that is? I would understand if it happens on both but not only on one and they are both NW skimmers. I did not notice this on my G3, how about you?

BTW, the problem occurs less 30 seconds after I feed so the concentration of food stuff that hits the skimmer is not that high.

At the store the Berlin skimmers shut down for a couple of hours after feeding/cleaning. The RK2 goes right to work after feeding/cleaning. The Octopus goes right to work after cleaning, but we dont feed the rock rack.

Large amounts of fatty acids shut down most skimmers, but it seems that the better designed skimmers tend to go to work, not shut down with feedings/cleanings.

FWIW, PE mysis is one of the fattiest foods out there and usually wreaks havoc on skimmer performance

Back