Snakes in upstate NY

the fov in the first picture from top to bottom is ~50 pole widths, if that last section of pole is 2" the fov is 8' 4". The second picture I measue the width of the last sect at 3/32" and the picture is 5 1/2" tall so if the pole is 2" wide the fov at that point is ~117" I don't believe that the pole is 2", so at 1.5" the fov in the second is only ~8' 4" It might be safe thinking the snake is over 8" but that is one heck of a long snake grabber if its 15' off the ground with it being held at the angle it is in the first photo

The only venomous snakes native to New York State are the small Eastern Massasauga and the Timber rattlesnake and both are critically endangered here. You would be extremely unlikely to encounter either in the wild. Your best chance at seeing a Massasauga would be to put on waders and search hummocks in the middle of Bergen swamp and to find a Timber you would need to locate one of the half dozen remaining dens in the mountains of south NYS, the locations of which are closely guarded secrets by the DEC.

A 15' diamondback would be big news everywhere and anywhere

A 15' diamondback would be big news everywhere and anywhere

something tells me that Rattler wasn't 15' because I was unable to verify the reported length. I tend to believe what was posted in Mel's link.

thanks.

fyi:

fyi:

I talked to Gary @ 'The Reptile Guys' (a local herp store) and he doubts the credibility of the 15' diamondback story.

He said that 8' would be a monster. 10' unheard of.

Back