So it is official, I'm moving to Florida

Genetics

Hands deep in water
Team RC
Premium Member
I wanted to thank everyone in Columbus that has made my reef tank experience great. During my 9yrs here I've gone from a simple understanding of corals and fish to having an amazing fish tank. It would not have been possible without people in and around here. I wish I could have stayed one more year to get the grow out and fullness of my current tank but it is what it is.

I'll post my final pictures of my tank this month and then well... I will have a few things for sale; equipment, corals, fish, LR, and the aquarium. So if you need something, you probably can get it from me used this month.:D

:( Don't be a stranger to the forums man. I hope everything goes well for you in Florida !

Where at in Florida? I just spent some time in Port Charlotte For a couple of years. I sure do miss the fishing.

Must be nice I would love to go back to Florida. I lived in Lakeland as a kid and have never gotten to go back since we moved. You will love it...Its so nice down there. Good luck and congrats.

Thanks everyone!

I have my choice between Ft. Lauderdale/Miami and Tampa. Have a few weeks to decide. Anyone have any input on the cities? I was down in Miami this last weekend and came back wondering why I live in Ohio.

Your future is so bright you will need to wear shades :dance:

I spent my college years in St Petersburg, it was awesome.

Good luck with your move and have a safe trip man.

Have fun no matter which city you go to!

If you go to Tampa, I know of a guy in the Tampa reef club whom you can get started with if you decide to go back to reefing. He's my coworker.

I'm moving to go back to school for a technical degree to work with the Anesthesia Care Team in ORs. It's a masters degree in Anesthesiologist Assistant and is a pretty sweet job. So the PhD is on hold but probably for the best.

jiriki, your mailbox is full but you'll have top priority to answer your question.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14540411#post14540411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Genetics
Thanks everyone!

I have my choice between Ft. Lauderdale/Miami and Tampa. Have a few weeks to decide. Anyone have any input on the cities? I was down in Miami this last weekend and came back wondering why I live in Ohio.

I lived in Ft Lauderdale for 17 years and am 10 years removed. I wouldn't live in Dade county (Miami and suburbs). Very international area and very cool to visit but crime, traffic, and other items would keep me from living there. For example, auto insurance used to cost double what it was in FtL. And FtL was about 3x what it cost up here.

There used to be a big difference between FtL and Tampa, but all of Florida is becoming so big city everywhere that I don't think it matters much anymore. FtL is/was more East Coast populated whereas Tampa is/was more full of Midwesterners. Some of the cities around FtL and Tampa are nice. I did prefer the Atlantic to the Gulf for SCUBA diving, but thats personal preference. FTL is closer to the Keys but another 4 hours South if your driving back and forth to Ohio. Don't forget your sun tan lotion and Good luck.

Verper, the international experience wouldn't bother me. I lived in south america a few years back specifically to learn spanish. Sadly, I don't speak it very well these days but last time I was in spain I was able to get around fine. Don't speak Creole though...

I am looking at getting a place downtown off Las Olas where it looks pretty decent for night life but also pretty safe.

Why did you like the Atlantic over the Pacific for SCUBA?

And thanks for the heads up on driving but I would be back to Ohio 6 times over the next two years at most.

I loved the international experience also. But only when I went down to Coconut Grove or club'n on South Beach. Just didn't want to live in all that busyness. Its busy enough in FtL

Las Olas area is real nice. Worked on a few houses in that area. I lived a few miles inland of there.

As far as diving, there is beautiful Gulf Stream drift diving off of Palm Beach, lots of wrecks off the coast of FtL, amazing underwater coral atols in Biscaine Bay, and then the Keys starting with Pennecamp. The few times I dove in the Gulf, it wasn't all that memorable. Maybe I didn't go to the right places.

FWIW, its around 7 hours of scrub palms from the FL/Georgia border to FtL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14540411#post14540411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Genetics
Thanks everyone!

This is Deerfield Beach last Saturday a few miles north of FtL, nice area and a little more relaxed. Miami is a lot more congested for my tastes...
IMG00022-20090228-1444-1.jpg

I go diving with Dixie Divers on Federal Hwy on the Lady GoDiver when we're there. Quite a few wrecks in the area and nice reefs between the Hillsboro and Boca inlets. I've never had a partner to go but you can shore dive the first and second reefs here, gotta watch for the psyco boater SOBs though... (about got run over Sunday before last by a 45' Sea Ray at full tilt with the Lady protecting us...:mad2: )

Good Luck!
Tim:cool:

Last edited:
Back