so whats the scoop on the frozen fish feeder?

Some of you are ridiculous.

All I will say is, if you really want this project worked on by these awesome guys then refrain from wasting their time, every single "week", for another inconsequential update just to satisfy/alleviate your own boredom ...

Oh yea, :D

I would love to have an auto feeder for frozen food for a seahorse tank but it needs to add selcon or have a dosing option to hit the food before it hits the tank. Kidding on the dosing.

I attempted to build one and failed. I haven't found a commercially available solution and intrigued by this. Would love it for myself and tell all my customers about it. Any idea if this will become a product available to us?

Some of you are ridiculous.

All I will say is, if you really want this project worked on by these awesome guys then refrain from wasting their time, every single "week", for another inconsequential update just to satisfy/alleviate your own boredom ...

Oh yea, :D

How does it waste their time?
There are more than two people who work at the shop.
Avast Employees are not dragged kicking and screaming from the shop to come answer questions from this thread.
In fact, the last post they made on this thread was 10-24-2014, six months ago. So obviously, this thread doesnt take up a major portion of their work day to begin with.

People posting on this thread asking for updates shows that this product is something that people are STILL interested in and have not forgotten about.

Yes, we all hope that Avast can bring it to market soon, and that it will be the same great quality as the rest of their stuff. But if people asking regularly about the product bothers you, you can always unsubscribe from this thread and it wont be a problem for you anymore...:thumbsup:

Honestly, we don't mind people asking "are we there yet?", it only assures us that there is interest in the destination :)

This is a very complex project with a ton of variables, we are working on it but it is going to take time, nothing will be released until it is perfect.

Honestly, we don't mind people asking "are we there yet?", it only assures us that there is interest in the destination :)

This is a very complex project with a ton of variables, we are working on it but it is going to take time, nothing will be released until it is perfect.

QUIT TYPING AND START MELTING PLASTIC TOGETHER AND MAKE SOMETHING COOL!! :debi:

:wavehand:

Dan-
As a person with several Avast "toys" on my tank, and who appreciates the time and effort you put into them; I'm really looking forward to this. You'll automate away my mother-in-law from stopping by daily to once every few (just to make sure stuff doesn't burn down) while I'm on vacation.

Everytime you guys do something, you can tell the thought that goes into it. My favorite is the Zeo shaker; its a perfect solution, simple, and so well thought out; including the ability to remove the cylinder from the base for cleaning/filling/etc. You can just tell the time on the details.

If this is half as nice as the Zeo reactor, I'll automate feeding completely (Even though I work from home, and the tank is 8' from my desk in my office.)

I'm really excited for this, and would happily chip in for crowdsourcing/deposit/testing/whatever. Glad to hear it's something on your radar, too.

-Andy

Andy, if we can figure out a way to automate away mothers-in-law it will indeed be our greatest gift to the world! :p

Maybe as a first product in this category, you could sell an automated feeder that uses refrigerated foods (like Reef Nutrition)... It's certainly easier than frozen foods and while it's a pretty easy DIY, I'd rather just buy one ready to use.

Maybe as a first product in this category, you could sell an automated feeder that uses refrigerated foods (like Reef Nutrition)... It's certainly easier than frozen foods and while it's a pretty easy DIY, I'd rather just buy one ready to use.

I think the refrigeration isnt the hard part, it's the portioning, timing sequences and other proper stuff involved with the system.

I wouldn't mind if we are provided an ice cube try to use in making our own foods and then the system can be modified with some switch to use a certain amount of ice cubes each feeding.

Delivery system as well must be quite interesting. if it uses a tube then it may get dirty and smelly over time, so a system to clean it would be necessary.

I think the refrigeration isnt the hard part, it's the portioning, timing sequences and other proper stuff involved with the system.

I wouldn't mind if we are provided an ice cube try to use in making our own foods and then the system can be modified with some switch to use a certain amount of ice cubes each feeding.

Delivery system as well must be quite interesting. if it uses a tube then it may get dirty and smelly over time, so a system to clean it would be necessary.

From the DIY versions I have seen, the mechanics and timing of the thawing is the hardest part. That could be avoided by (first) developing something for refrigerated foods. The delivery, once thawed, would be the same whether you start with frozen or refrigerated. If you keep all the lines refrigerated until they hit a system line (which means keeping the doser in the fridge) , it shouldn't need cleaning too often. I saw a refrigerated system that used a doser and then a venturi to deliver into tank that looked straightforward.

The unit will be self cleaning, self portioning based on user input, etc, etc, etc. The unit will be able to accept home made or prepared foods equally, it will not be a proprietary system. Cooling is definitely easier than freezing, we really want to use solid state chilling instead of a compressor for the size/cost factors but the temp differential of frozen to shoved under someones reef tank is pretty large, the massive amounts of ambient humidity don't help either.

So what are you all willing to pay for a self contained automatic frozen food feeder that doses precision amounts of food as many times a day as you like, integrates with aquarium controllers, self cleans all the lines after every food dose, notifies you when you need to add more food, and looks good and is easy to maintain? Anything can be built, not everything can be built at a certain price point.

So what are you all willing to pay for a self contained automatic frozen food feeder that doses precision amounts of food as many times a day as you like, integrates with aquarium controllers, self cleans all the lines after every food dose, notifies you when you need to add more food, and looks good and is easy to maintain? Anything can be built, not everything can be built at a certain price point.

I'd pay $1,000 without even thinking about it. If it was > $1,000 I would still buy it, but I would wait for reviews before laying down the cash.

I'd like to see the price point around $500ish. I think that would be an easy sale to a lot of consumers. With that being said, not sure if it could be made and sold for a profit at that point(no idea what cost would go into it). I would pay up to $750-1000 if I had to and the capabilities supported the cost.

I'd like to see the price point around $500ish. I think that would be an easy sale to a lot of consumers. With that being said, not sure if it could be made and sold for a profit at that point(no idea what cost would go into it). I would pay up to $750-1000 if I had to and the capabilities supported the cost.

Well, I'd expect you just give me one so I can beta test it :-D

No, I think at first a price of around $450-650 would be unheard of and amazing. For anyone serious about the hobby, that's nothing but chump change. But if it were able to be lowered down to the $250-$350 mark, then you'd make a lot of people get one that might not have cared too much in the past.

I would be in around $250 but again I'm on the broke scale of things and maybe not truly your target demographic.

Back