So you want to open a LFS...

In the reality of the world we live in, LFS store owners need to go on the offensive to secure your business away from the online stores. Its silly to act like customers are "mean" if they don't want to spend 10-30% more to buy something from their store that they can buy online.

My LFS lets me purchase through him from the supplier, and I get free drop shipping next day to my home. The price is the same for me as if I bought online, i just save the shipping costs. That makes me want to support him. He also gets me coming back by discounting corals, especially when I buy more than one at a time.

I am here to provide more than just products, we give tons of free advice, recommendations based on our knowledge of what you already have ...

This is partly my own personality - but this, taken too far, is the number one thing that will drive me away from a store run by a hobbyist.

I've been in the hobby for a long time, do lots of research before making purchases, and rarely want to discuss them. Once I'm ready to make a purchase, I just want to go make the purchase. I'd rather buy locally, even when it costs more, but I'd usually rather not be asked to discuss the details of my tank, etc... When I've had emergencies (it happens) I've always taken care of them myself, usually successfully.

Actually had a local LFS person (some years back) ignore me on later visits to his store (to the point of not getting me my requested item after I asked directly) because I didn't want to talk about the details of my setup on an earlier visit. That store is no longer in business, btw.

I've never had any great desire to talk to others about my tanks. I really enjoy them, have pretty good success with them, do tons of research, etc... All of the things most others do. But I've no real desire to discuss them with others in person.

This is partly my own personality - but this, taken too far, is the number one thing that will drive me away from a store run by a hobbyist.

I've been in the hobby for a long time, do lots of research before making purchases, and rarely want to discuss them. Once I'm ready to make a purchase, I just want to go make the purchase. I'd rather buy locally, even when it costs more, but I'd usually rather not be asked to discuss the details of my tank, etc... When I've had emergencies (it happens) I've always taken care of them myself, usually successfully.

Actually had a local LFS person (some years back) ignore me on later visits to his store (to the point of not getting me my requested item after I asked directly) because I didn't want to talk about the details of my setup on an earlier visit. That store is no longer in business, btw.

I've never had any great desire to talk to others about my tanks. I really enjoy them, have pretty good success with them, do tons of research, etc... All of the things most others do. But I've no real desire to discuss them with others in person.

+1 on this - I am on the extreme end of SPS-a-holics and many LFS store guys have very specific opinions that I don't really want to debate with them. Occasionally ill violate this and ask a question but at many stores the answer is so bad and wrong that i regret it. My "good" LFS knows lots about SPS but has no problem picking my brain so he can learn as much from me as I can from him.

Many of our customers are new to hobby, when i say get to know your tank we usually keep it simple. Size tank, current inhabitants, if they are coral shopping what kind of light they use. Those questions can help me make a proper suggestion for there tank. They have no idea about certain compatibility of fish/fish or fish/inverts. If somebody comes in and says i want that fish/coral/etc i dont really ask much of anything. Our few customers that have been in the hobby we dont ask too much other than is there something special we can get for them. I get people started in the hobby, they choose how much they want to learn from there. I recommend reefcentral.com and *********.com as good resources for advanced topics/knowledge. Nobody in this hobby knows everything, maybe a lot but not 100%.

Many of our customers are new to hobby, when i say get to know your tank we usually keep it simple. Size tank, current inhabitants, if they are coral shopping what kind of light they use. Those questions can help me make a proper suggestion for there tank. They have no idea about certain compatibility of fish/fish or fish/inverts. If somebody comes in and says i want that fish/coral/etc i dont really ask much of anything. Our few customers that have been in the hobby we dont ask too much other than is there something special we can get for them. I get people started in the hobby, they choose how much they want to learn from there. I recommend reefcentral.com and *********.com as good resources for advanced topics/knowledge. Nobody in this hobby knows everything, maybe a lot but not 100%.

I think you are doing things right.

I am surprised you recommend internet sites though (Although you are right about them being great for knowledge) people will rely on them more than coming in and asking questions and probably soon find out about frag swaps and stuff like that in the end hurting your business. They will also be more likely to look up prices online and see that you charge more in the store.

Most stores avoid talking about the Internet like it the Plague and it really is in terms of LFS's loosing money.

If an LFS had just one wish I am sure most would say that they wish that the Internet was Never Invented because it put so many out of business and many more are on their way out because of the Internet.

Just saying. I love the internet as much as the next guy but I am just looking at the whole situation from the LFS's Point of view.

People are going to find out about the internet anyways. It might as well be on their recomendation. If the LFS isn't providing something the online stores can't (service, face to face conversation, etc) it probably won't matter long term.

The LFS in my area are awesome. 1 guy has his house connect to a downtown retail space. Knows his stuff and imports the good stuff and the cheap stuff. He knows after 3 years I'm not his key customer. I buy it rarely dies. I don't need special x of fancy z. Where his store struggles is in dry goods. I go there and spend good money on livestock.

But I can't spend 80$ on a box of salt when I can get it for 50 online without tax. I wanted an ati unit and he couldn't even get it from his wholesaler cheaper than BRS. He was ****ed. I honestly feel bad for him. Non livestock has been online nickled and dimed into a buyers dream. To be honest I don't know how even carrying that stuff can be worth it. I would stock minimum emergency supplies and post a pictured price list or tablet with pictures for dry goods at 5% mark up. Let's be honest we don't need to physically see things in a store to buy them anymore. My point is a LFS owner should not pin there profits on dry goods.

Service and maintenance is good for LFS and restaurants, doctor offices and retail stores will drive bottom line IMO. Those accounts drive consistent revenue assuming the LFS maintains them well.

Almost every single LFS I have been in within the last 20+ years I have been going has no prices to go with livestock. Recently I have been seeing plastic colorful dividers, someone at macna had them. Those are a godsend. Put a little sign on a frag plug 15$ section. Then border the group of frags. Fish I don't have a good solution but I'm sure someone does.

OP posted about signs. I also like that idea and rarely see it. As mentioned earlier some people are flat out not social. Others are always right and your way is wrong. Help these people along by posting some policies and offers. You never know what someone may have decided why you were dealing with the old veteran that keeps talking.

Which moves me to my other LFS. Matt has half coral shop. Other half car repair. No joke. First time in asked if fumes were an issue and he responded well. Obvious not the first to ask but he segerated the building properly. My point is matt is on point. Excellent coral and fish. He is not a first time buyer kind of seller. Low dry good inventory. Mostly high end corals. A moderate fish selection. Why is he successful? IMO because of the car repair business. I drive 3-4 depending on traffic round trip to see him, so not often. But I will occassionaly because he does everything right. Awesome display tank. Grows and frags his own stuff too. Healthy fish. Clean store. Notes on stuff in stock. Non pushy sales.

I would love to own a LFS but never will. I would rather open an aquarium and charge people to enter. Where i help corals and fish not just live but thrive. Yet I'm a rationalist. That's silly amounts of money and normally an endeavor done by who knows. So I will grow my corals and play finger games with my fish. Don't judge, you do it too. Maybe I can sell some frags and recoup some cost or buy some new all in one testing device.

To those who strive and put forward the long hours in the hopes of making your passion a wholesome occupation I salute you and wish you luck.

My shop is doing well, we are just about 1.5yrs open. Our customer base is still growing and some have developed mts already. We have dialed in what our customers are looking for, most are first timers and arent looking for ultra rare corals or fish. They just want bright, colorful, and easy to keep.

We have been trying to increase our on hand stuff that more experienced reefers might look for as well like purple tangs, red sea sailfins, and others that arent as common at stores that half *** there saltwater dept. I dont have many customers interested in high end zoas or chalice.

Dry goods we keep to a minimum of essentials salt, additives, heaters, powerheads, rock, sand, and usually the equipment we would recommend to go with the tanks we have in-store.

We are getting ready to shoot our first tv commercial, we still are getting people in that didnt know we are here. Will be played on animal planet, and during tanked, and river monsters.

We do giveaways every few months to encourage customers to shop with us. Instead of selling raffle tickets we do 1 free entry per $10 spent in our store. Its a win win, even if you dont win the drawing you still got something for your money.

No!!!

No!!!

WTH would I want that headache??? :uhoh2:
I have my own tank that needs caring for not 20... :p

I'm a business owner going on 10 years. Completely different field (if you need printing, shoot me a pm), but a couple things I would very highly recommend to all LFS, speaking from experience.

sk8ter, do you have a steady customer email campaign running? If not you really should. Have customers give you their email. At least once a week send out an email with a list of new fish that have arrived and put your number in a big font that says call now to reserve one of these fish. Ideally, take nice pictures of the more expensive fish. Same goes for new corals that come in, or frags from your growout tank. You have to get in front of your customers eyes. My LFS has taken my email a few times, and I legitimately hoped they would send me emails with weekly sales, or new livestock, so I didn't have to drive there to see what they had. But they are lazy and never send out emails, and then I see the fish I want on Diver's Den and I buy it there. Put your store in front of their face! As often as possible. A salty will not mind a weekly email with pictures of fish and corals that they could own right now if they wanted.

There are plenty of affordable companies that make this very easy, like constant contact. Use that, don't do it on your own. They will have proper unsubscribe links, etc.

And I see in a year you have one review on google for 2 stars. I am a business owner, and we kindly ask our good customers if they wouldn't mind writing us a review on google. THEY ALWAYS SAY YES!!! And so we now have 15-20 5 star reviews that are honest, from the people who appreciate our business and what we offer. I have new customers tell me ALL THE TIME that they saw the great reviews online and gave us a call. This is SO EASY TO DO. You must have happy customers. Just ask them. Don't offer anything in return. Just be honest and say it would help out your business and they will do it in a second.

Lastly, look into google adwords. Without question, this is some of the best money a business can spend. If your store doesn't appear properly in local searches, you're losing tons and tons of business to the stores that advertise with google adwords. I did a search and here is what came up:

attachment.php

Those 3 stores sure look like the places I would go to first. They aren't better than your store, but they just got their customers to write reviews, and they pay for clicks on google searches. Any money you spend on google adwords is either you appearing on a search or someone clicking on your ad. It's not just giving google money. You pay for clicks. You pay for impressions (your ad appearing on the top of a search) for keywords that you choose. You set a monthly budget. Whatever you can afford. The more the better. There are also companies that can manage your adwords account for you since it can be slightly complicated. Reach Local is who I use. It was clear as day the increase in phonecalls when we started using adwords. I cannot recommend this enough. Use it use it use it.

These are really super easy ways to help get customers in your store. Word of mouth is great, but you have so many other ways to reach customers nowadays that businesses do not take advantage of.

Attachments

• georgiafish.jpg
    georgiafish.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1
I think your money would be MUCH better spent on a nice sized google adwords monthly budget instead of a tv commercial (see my previous post since this post started a new page). I would never consider spending money on a tv commercial. If I had extra marketing money lying around, I would increase my adwords budget, which is guaranteed to get my store to come up in front of the eyes of people searching for exactly what I provide.

Last edited:
Have customers give you their email. At least once a week send out an email with a list of new fish that have arrived and put your number in a big font that says call now to reserve one of these fish...

RESERVE a fish!...if I go into a store that has 'new' fish already 'reserved' for their special customers, I won't be back... IMO, if the LFS has to depend on people actually coming in to buy those reserved fish, they will be out of business in a few months!

RESERVE a fish!...if I go into a store that has 'new' fish already 'reserved' for their special customers, I won't be back... IMO, if the LFS has to depend on people actually coming in to buy those reserved fish, they will be out of business in a few months!

I think that's a bit melodramatic, but it doesn't matter. He can put whatever he wants in the emails. The point is to get his store in front of his customers. People he knows want to shop there. Same goes for adwords, which markets ONLY to people looking for stores like his. Guaranteed.

A TV commercial, if it's not skipped on a dvr, is not guaranteed to be seen by anyone looking for a saltwater fish store. I can't stress enough how much I believe a tv commercial would be a colossal waste of money. Please do not spend money on that before getting your online presence taken care of first.

the ad before a dori movie is very specific, i by no way recommending a tv ad. Right before a fish movie where no one can fastforward and lights are dimmed. i think it is something to look into. google ad words for a LFS may be excessive.

If i goggle panama city beach saltwater store. Everyone of my LFS comes up. If i want a sps online store i would agree with google ads though.

I guess I really don't see the problem... if you like that fish - he can order you one.

You just put SOLD on the glass... I see it all the time at every fish store I have even been to.

Some people come in on their lunch hour, etc., see a fish they like, buy it and pick it up after work.

Back