Solomon Islands True Percula Info Needed

I was planning to look for a wild Onyx to breed with my C-Quest onyx, but now I have second thoughts, though I still think injecting the wild gene will provide benefits.

Is it because you would like to keep your lineage color as dark as possible with little possibility of faded colors?

Is it because you would like to keep your lineage color as dark as possible with little possibility of faded colors?

Not only faded colors (meaning not jet black) but also the possibility of losing the color altogether. I don't want to breed Onyx clowns that look like mochas. In talking to other breeders, many believe that the C-Quest line of Onyx is too severely interbred which results in deformities that are passed on from generation to generation.

Yes..........my first thought was the same..........

I thought that it is A. ocellaris............

And the Tomato clown is A. rubrocinctus..............a species that occours in West Australia..............Exmouth........Ningaloo Reef.............and Darwin region........

In this place the species is A. ocellaris...........

Home of the Black Ocellaris...........

But this Tomato clown.........could be A. melanopus from GBR...........

The only thing is to see its pelvic fins...........if it is completelly black........it is A. melanopus...........

If it pelvic fin is red..........it it A. rubrocinctus...........

Well...........I connot id it peciselly............

But we have in this picture a Damselfish.............I think its Chromis........but I don´t know the species...........

Maybe identifying this Chromis............we can know if it occourrence is in GBR............or in West Australia.............

Due the locality that this picture came..........Whitsundays............I think that the black fish is A. percula............

Do you know what species is this Chromis.........???

I don´t know.........I´m not familiar with this group of fishes...........

I thought about Acanthochromis polyacanthus...........

I don´t know.........

The range matches with the two localities............GBR...........and Western Australia region.........

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Spiny-Puller-Acanthochromis-polyacanthus-Bleeker-1855

???

By the way........the picture is rare..........

Western Australia have A. ocellaris.........and A. rubrocinctus.........

GBR have A. percula and.......A. melanopus...........

The picture is claimed to be in Whitsundays.........GBR..........

???

I have special interest in this picture due the rarity...........

Except the picture in this thread.........

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529412

I never see other pictures that document Black Ocellaris.........or Black Percula in the wild............

I have to check if this picture is realy taken in Whitsundays............or it was taken in North-Western Australia..............

About the Chromis I still have doubt about the ID...........

The chromis ID was merely a guess. I really think there is a typo with the location. I am quite certain that's A. ocellaris and rubrocintus. It almost appears the rubrocintus is being hosted by the mertens carpet. that being said, It is so hard to draw conclusions from one snapshot.

I really think there is a typo with the location.

Maybe yes...........

That´s why I thought that if I id this Damsel.........maybe I found the locality.......

Its a rare pic for me.....

I never found a good picture of Darwin Black O..........

Or a picture of a completelly Black Perc.........

Here's a video of what appears to be a percula clown from Solomon Islands in a home aquarium. There's also an onyx clown in there. Whether it's wild caught or not I don't know but a pretty cool video of clowns. There's a gigantea anemone in the aquarium which may explain the dark coloration
http://youtu.be/k0TkEIU6IRQ

Nice fishes..........

They look Solomon Islands..........

This pic if from Solomons........

picture.php

Nice fishes..........

They look Solomon Islands..........

This pic if from Solomons........

picture.php

I have a subadult pair of Solomon percula where the female looks like this and the male is on its way to get all black in the front:

attachment.php

They are currently in hypersalinity treatment because they had a Cryptocaryon infection.
I plan to put them into a Heteractis crispa that I just got.
Has anybody an idea if the crispa will make their black fade like the magifica?

Can't believe this thread is 3 years old. Anyhow, someone just posted a cool diving video with true percs in SI.
FF to 1:50 and you will see them in a gig.
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SX6MxtzgWu0?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Can't believe this thread is 3 years old. Anyhow, someone just posted a cool diving video with true percs in SI.
FF to 1:50 and you will see them in a gig.
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SX6MxtzgWu0?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Thanks for sharing. Too bad the footage of the clowns and nem is so short!

Those look close to my Percula Pair #1 (of 5 by now...)

This was them in 2015:

attachment.php

... and today (same gig as well):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hZ-OMZBgr-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just reading thru this thread again probably 3 years too late but.......
IME diving some parts of the whitsundays I never saw a percula or occelaris anywhere, not saying they weren't there but...

I only saw clowns near Heron Island.

BTW SI clowns are my favorite, local breeder near me has a huge pair with excellent colors. the female is easily 5 inches or more.

Just a bump for those who are new, this is a great thread if you love true percs!

Back