Solomon Islands True Percula Info Needed

This is a Night Diving picture too..........

picture.php

The are fishes covered with mucus.............

Last edited:
Very interesting how fish coloration depends on the host anemone. No black percula clowns in Magnificas.

This occurs in our tanks as well -- more than a few people had their Onyx clowns fade in magnifica.

Also, I guess what this thread shows is that unless you catch them yourself or have a very reputable dealer working with you, there's really no way of knowing where the clown came from, based on color alone. That said, all of the percs I've seen with more black than normal were always labeled SI or PNG percula clown. But, as I previously mentioned, just because it's labeled as such does not mean they will always have more black than a typical perc.

I've been trying to see if anyone would ask or answer something I've been wondering about as far as onyx go, but I haven't seen it asked or answered yet.

I acquired, what I think might be a C-Quest Onyx (not sure, exactly since the person I purchased it from noted he got it from Booyah's IIRC), and for the previous owner, was the perfect onyx IMO. Full black coloration between all of the bars, and around the extra spot. The male from the video below is the specimen I got (the female died for a mysterious reason).

By time I got a tank ready to receive him and the bali picasso, and he arrived (was shipped to me), the full onyx coloring was gone. I would expect this had he been kept with a gig or the like and was now under my care with no nem, but I find it odd since he wasn't ever kept in an anemone in the past year or so and retained the black coloration. Now that I've had him for a month, I think some has come back since he arrived (no pictures to look back on though to be sure). Just wondering if the black may "recover" so to speak?

A recent picture of him with the new bali picasso from last night:

I've been trying to see if anyone would ask or answer something I've been wondering about as far as onyx go, but I haven't seen it asked or answered yet.

I acquired, what I think might be a C-Quest Onyx (not sure, exactly since the person I purchased it from noted he got it from Booyah's IIRC), and for the previous owner, was the perfect onyx IMO. Full black coloration between all of the bars, and around the extra spot. The male from the video below is the specimen I got (the female died for a mysterious reason).

By time I got a tank ready to receive him and the bali picasso, and he arrived (was shipped to me), the full onyx coloring was gone. I would expect this had he been kept with a gig or the like and was now under my care with no nem, but I find it odd since he wasn't ever kept in an anemone in the past year or so and retained the black coloration. Now that I've had him for a month, I think some has come back since he arrived (no pictures to look back on though to be sure). Just wondering if the black may "recover" so to speak?

A recent picture of him with the new bali picasso from last night:
Your video does not show...tried laptop and Tapatalk to no avail. Like D-Nak said, it's very common for SI A. Percula to lose its black coloration. Todd's clownfish regained some of its color after putting it with Haddoni anemone. But yours is tank raised and potentially should have kept more color than its wild caught counterparts...I am just speculating here though.

I found something intresting............right now.......

http://www.francescoricciardi.com/clown-anemonefish-pemuteran-bali-indonesia/

I don´t know what to say............

Its gonna be cool if you take few pics.............

amphiprion-percula.jpg

The picture of this fish doen not look like a wild caught A. percula. If you look at the fish, the lower jaw protrude out over the top jaw which is a very common defect in captive breed clown fish.

Is it possible that somebody release these fish there for publicity?

I don´t know...........

A. percula in Bali is a new information to me.............

I made a brief search for pictures without sucess.............I found only A. ocellaris pictures..........

I doný know what to say...........just wait for more information or pictures..........

I found a pic from Cenderawasih Bay.............and it is Amphiprion percula...........True Percula........

picture.php

Source : http://www.coralcoe.org.au/news/car...ns/attachment/cenderawasih-bay-indonesia-2006

I think that this is the divisor between Amphiprion percula and Amphiprion ocellaris.......................the region of Cenderawasih Bay..........at North West Papua Indonesia..........

Cenderawasih Bay have Amphiprion percula...........and Raja Ampat have Amphiprion ocellaris...........

Bali region is an important Indonesian Throughflow passage............even due Last Glacial Era.............

The flow came through Makassar Strait.......till Lombook Strait......between Bali and Lombook................................and this region the fish is Amphiprion ocellaris............

Something like the Ocellaris from Singapore..............

Maybe few fishes show signs of Melanism............

Here are few exemples of how Melanism appears in Amphiprion ocellaris.........from Malaysia region........

picture.php

picture.php

Amphiprion ocellaris......from Perhenthian Islands........Malaysia.......

picture.php

They do not show complete Melanism the same way that are founded in Darwin - Australia ( Black Ocellaris).........that seems to have a Genetic issue too............

They show a kind of more subtle Melanism.............linked with Stichodactyla gigantea............

But about True Percs........I never see a single Image from Bali.............

What I saw is Amphiprion ocellaris............

This Image is from Bali.........look at the Volcanic Substrate..........

picture.php

Hosted in Merten´s..........
Here you go. Took the video specifically for this thread. Melanistic A. Occelaris. To me it looked too large to have juvenile Darwin brown color.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mI8YMDRFOCE

I found "something"...........kkkkkk

Whitsunday Islands..........GBR..........Australia........

picture.php

Source : http://www.allwaysaustralia.com/states/queensland/whitsundays.php

I think that it is a Black Percula..............founded in the Wild..........

This is based in Geographic Distribution of Amphiprion percula............

Perculas with lots of black color is relatively common...............

Like these in PNG........

picture.php

picture.php

A picture from the same region from the above PNG pictures...........but now hosted in Heteractis magnifica.......

picture.php

And they show no signs of Melanism...........

Last edited:
I translate this text in Japanese to Portuguese.........using the PC.........and its a little difficult to undestand...........

http://www.png-japan.co.jp/blog/

But what I understand is that..........this fish.........once predominating Orange...........change the coloration to almost Black.............and then turm some parts to Orange again..........after a year or so............

First picture.......(the fish is the same)........

picture.php

Then almost entire Black.........

picture.php

And after a year.......some parts turn Orange again......

picture.php

Is this right.......???

This is the first time........I saw.........a documented color change in Amphiprion percula in the Wild.............

Solomon Islands True Percula Info Needed

I wonder what causes the color change...is it slime from anemone, the mood, sex...???

Last edited:
I translate this text in Japanese to Portuguese.........using the PC.........and its a little difficult to undestand...........

http://www.png-japan.co.jp/blog/

But what I understand is that..........this fish.........once predominating Orange...........change the coloration to almost Black.............and then turm some parts to Orange again..........after a year or so............

First picture.......(the fish is the same)........

picture.php

Then almost entire Black.........

picture.php

And after a year.......some parts turn Orange again......

picture.php

Is this right.......???

This is the first time........I saw.........a documented color change in Amphiprion percula in the Wild.............

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing. My first inclination was to think that it was a different clown, but the markings do look the same in each photo.

So, apparently what we see is a color shift in the wild. Alternatively, with Onyx clowns, C-Quest in particular, we see the melanistic trait built into the clown itself, where the color does not shift. I was planning to look for a wild Onyx to breed with my C-Quest onyx, but now I have second thoughts, though I still think injecting the wild gene will provide benefits.

Yes........my first post I thought that they were different clowns........

But when I translated it.........I realized that´s about a color change........in the wild............

And the fish is the same individual............

It is the first time I saw a report from the Nature..........

Also the Black individual from GBR (Whitsundays).......is the first time that I saw a picture from the wild.......too.........

Back