Some anemones in Fiji

I think our server hates your pics, all I see are red x's... :(

They'll be back up shortly. I have several web sites and I store my photos in a server folder at my web site host. It just so happens that one of my sites has gotten too big and my host shut it down for exceeding maximum allowable traffic.

Now if someone can explain how you can exceed the limit on an unlimited web site account I will be forever in your debt :)

Are all the pics on page-1 still up? I show red-X's but that might mean they're hosted somewhere that's blocked at work. :(

I'll check again tonight...

BonsaiNut, the pics are awesome! Thank you for sharing them. What is the travel time like out of LAX to Fiji? I am seriously thinking about taking a trip. I'm in the early stages of planning but serious about exploring the South Pacific.

BonsaiNut, the pics are awesome! Thank you for sharing them. What is the travel time like out of LAX to Fiji? I am seriously thinking about taking a trip. I'm in the early stages of planning but serious about exploring the South Pacific.

Let me know how I can help you out. Travel time from LAX to NADI is 10 hours so it is not too crazy. They have direct flights twice per week on Air Pacific, and I believe Qantas also offers direct flights.

Once bit of advice - as a reefer you want to stay on one of the outer islands. Do NOT stay on the mainland; the coast is mostly mud flats and mangrove forest. The best reefs are offshore where there isn't a lot of river runoff or mud. I have been to a number of resorts in the Mananucas and can give you some idea of what is good/bad if you want. Send me a PM if you have questions.

Here's another one I thought the clown people might enjoy :)

fiji14.jpg

Without having been there, Fiji almost seems to me like Hawaii's bigger brother. That might be a totally unfair thing to say so maybe I'll stop talking now. :)

Having been to Hawaii 10+ times, let me assure you there is no comparison. Hawaii is a mid-ocean sea-mount that is quite remote from other landmasses and is (geologically) quite young. Bio-diversity is MUCH lower. To give you an example:

Hawaii
Coral species: 70
Reef fish species: 400
Clownfish species: 0
Clown anemone species: 1
Tridacnids (giant clams): no

Fiji
Coral species: 200+
Reef fish species: 1200+
Clownfish species: 4+
Clown anemone species: 9
Tridacnids (giant clams): yes

I like Hawaii, and there is some great wall and cave diving (lava tubes particularly), but there are no barrier reefs and the fringe reefs are really quite small and unimpressive. I'm talking the main islands, of course. Midway and French Frigate Shoals might be different because they are so far to the West.

Another photo... S. haddoni at low tide with a pair of A. chrysopterus. Note my foot in the bottom of the photo :)

fiji17.jpg

No pics for me this AM. I guess you got to take those plastic cards out again :)
Those "wifeodnerd" really like your plastic card

Strangely, I can open the pic from the email saying there is a new post, but the same pic doesn't show here in the forum.

Awesome pics!

Awesome pics!

Checking out that pic of the Haddoni...talk about shallow...I would love to see what the par levels are for comparisons sake.

Thank you for the reply. Finishing up my fact finding and will send you a PM.

Back