Some Excellent Reading

Hmmmm.... good link.I've NEVER purchased ANY phytoplankton for feeding ANYTHING.I grow it on the aquarium glass and magnet scrape it off.Been doin' that for over 8 years.I'll take that first statement back-I did buy some nanochloropsus for my rotifer cultures,once.Not to change the subject matter,BUT, MiNdErAsR -how is your clam and copperband doing?

Gary,
All clams are doing great. The copperband butterfly ignores them. Unfortunately I haven't had much luck weening him off freshly smashed littleneck clams.

On a side note, I have observed my pair of Gobiodon okinawae violently chase off the cbb if it gets too close to any acropora colony in which they dwell. Kind of funny to see considering how small they are compared to the CBB. :)

NICE!!!:thumbsup: Thank you Dr. Ron, and thank you Jim!!! I wonder if Kent has ever read this!!!

so gary, ure saying that you can feed filterfeeders with whatever algea you scrape off the glass of your aquarium?
nishant

Nishant: I am indeed saying that I feed filter feeders with those algae scrapings. To what extent they succeed in substituting for real phyto- I don't know. I'd like to find out the answer someday.

I would think that scrapings from the glass would be too large in particle size. But I could be wrong. :)

Jim, I'm not referring to the big chunks {"scrapings"} so much as the algal "fuzz" removed with the magnet.This "fuzz" may indeed be much larger than phytoplankton,but I'm wondering if much of my phyto-feeders are utilizing it...?
I believe they are, but I have no proof.

The information provided in the above links convinced me to try dosing a phytoplankton supplement. I am happy to report seeing great results in my reef aquarium- especially with my large Tridacna squamosa and numerous filter feeding organisms. Thanks again for the information Ron and Jim!

And Gary, you switching based on reading these articles has convinced me to start dosing. Thanks. :D

Hi, all. Caught this thread and was wondering your recommended phyto? DT's? That's what I was using but was concerned about overfeeding. Any comments on frequency, etc.?

Thanks!

daily feedings

daily feedings

Periette said:
Hi, all. Caught this thread and was wondering your recommended phyto? DT's? That's what I was using but was concerned about overfeeding. Any comments on frequency, etc.?

Thanks!

I feed my tank daily with ESV spray dried phytoplankton, I have two 3" derasa and two 2" gold maximas and all are growing nicely.

I like the spray dried over the live as it seams to be less pollutant on a tank IME.

kc

Back