spaflex question

natas

I went out and bought some spaflex the other day to make a drainhose from my overflow to my sump.

My overflow connection and sump connection both are slip connectors. Yesterday I put the spaflex in both slip connections and noticed that the connection is not tight at all. From the overflow the spaflex actually falls out.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do here? I want to be able to remove this hose later, so I don't want to be stuck with the spaflex physically attached to my overflow. I was thinking I could get a slip to slip connector (think its called a coupler), glue the spaflex to one end of the slip then just attach the other end to the overflow. Would this work? This is just a drain so there is actually little pressure.

If I do this my concern now is the coupler getting stuck, if this works would some silicon lubricant help here?

If you want removable connections, glue in a section of pipe and a coupler or threaded fittings (sch 40 or 80 as appropriate), and use that to attach spaflex. Watch the flow restrictions when you start using threaded fittings though.

Whatever you do, the bulkhead connection should be secure (either threaded, clamped, or glued). Even though pressure is low, potential for leaks (or disaster) is high.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12622246#post12622246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cczarnik
If you want removable connections, glue in a section of pipe and a coupler or threaded fittings (sch 40 or 80 as appropriate), and use that to attach spaflex. Watch the flow restrictions when you start using threaded fittings though.

Maybe I am not understanding this correctly, but why do I need to glue in a section of pipe and a couple when I can just glue the spaflex directly to a coupler?

Unless it's a weird batch, most spa flex should be the exact same outside diameter as hard pvc. Have you put a piece of hard pvc into the bulkhead to see if it fits snugly?

I've found that on some schedule 80 slip bulkheads -- particularly ones larger than 1" -- pvc (rigid or spa) seems not to fit too snugly. You can try wrapping lots of teflon tape around the spa flex and then jamming it in.

But for drains, I would use solvent on everything. Just too risky not to. Actually, for this reason, I've stopped using slip bulkheads for drains. I only use threaded now, and that way everything is able to be disassembled.

What I would do is from your bulkhead, add about 4 inches of PVC. Then put on a union, or a slip/slip coupler and then glue your spa flex in there. If you use a union you can just unscrew the connection and remove the spa flex. Do the same thing on the other end. If down the road you want to make a total change you can cut the 4" piece of PVC and still have room to glue a new one on when you make your changes.

slip/slip coupler
coupler.jpg

union
PVC%20Unions.gif

I hope that makes sense.

Gtstricky, thats perfect!

I just need to find out where I can get a few inches of 1 1/2 pvc instead of having to buy a whole 10ft :)

No you would need a small piece of pipe between them (just to make the connection) or you could use a street elbow that is made to slip into another fitting. You will see street elbows at lowes or HD also.

Back