SPS Aquascape......please critique!

Love it actually, looks awesome. Personally, I love tonga and would see how 1 or 2 of your branches looked in the background off of the left side scape

Now that looks fantastic! The flow is great and just picture in your mind how amazing it will look when grown out. Good work.

i like it..but..there are few space for sps , if you add big colonies , your rockwork is full..don't think that is important to make a perfect artwork with only rocks..think to you put corals on it and they grow.. ;)

Here is where I'm at. I'm very happy with it. I do want to grow out some nice stags so I left everything low. I also backed off the amount if rock, with the intention of adding a little more from my current tank. I also may add a third small island on the front right. All the rocks are on the glass, and I filled in sand around it. I underestimated how much the sand shortened everything....

Now that turned out great, I like the flow of this much better!

Thanks for the positive remarks......:beer:

i like it..but..there are few space for sps , if you add big colonies , your rockwork is full..don't think that is important to make a perfect artwork with only rocks..think to you put corals on it and they grow.. ;)

This is my only concern. This is my first non-nano tank and I think I'm struggling to manage all the space. I left it bare on purpose, because I will be adding a few more pieces. My other concern is I don't have many hiding spots for fish. I don't want to disturb the balance too much, as I always pictured a larger sloping island on the left. I think I'm going to add a small arch on the left side (same arch that's in the tank pictured above) and possibly a small shelf piece on the front. I will also add a small island on the front of he left side, or some kind of structure coming straight forward, possibly some more tonga branch.

Nice setup! I like the rockwork as you have it. Let your corals define the true aquascape. You know you'll change a few things anyway once you start seeing it come together.

Setting my Reef Savvy up tonight and I am going through the same thing. For the 1st time I have 5ft to work with.

Nice setup! I like the rockwork as you have it. Let your corals define the true aquascape. You know you'll change a few things anyway once you start seeing it come together.

Setting my Reef Savvy up tonight and I am going through the same thing. For the 1st time I have 5ft to work with.

Good luck with yours. Nice dimensions. I could have squeezed a few more inches of length in the space I had, kinda wish I did, but didn't want the tank to overpower the space. It kinda does already. Felix makes awesome tanks. Dude is a perfectionist. Even the seams inside the overflow are perfect, LOL!

See if you can arrange some tonga branch vertically like a tree. This will provide enough space to mount acros that need extra light. Also give some height to your aquascape. Only one sided is needed.

Thanks. I have 3 more tonga pieces I can play with. 2 are in my current tank, and 1 I already put in the tank. Instead of upright, I put it up against the right island. Looks like a mangrove root. I was planning on using the remaining 2 pieces on the left island. After seeing Jackson's tank, I may try to upright them like you suggested. Should provide for excellent flow through as well. Thanks.

Here is the mangrove root, LOL!

Also thinking of a small shelf on the left front.

Love the tank but I hate how the tank stand doesn't match any cabinets next to it.

I think it does match!!! And it's a different room from the kitchen area. If you notice, it matches nicely with the TV stand next to it. Different opinions :p

I love the tank so far!!

I like! I think the tonga branches give it character and will look super awesome with some zoos or monti covering them!

I love the rock work looks fantastic. I agree with others though. As an sps addict my primary goal is always to maximize sps placement and grow out room. Artistic rock work is for the birds. As long as it's stable with plenty of coral room. True the tonga branch doesn't match NOW, but when it's covered maybe by some kind of encrusting montipora it won't matter.

Blast from the past. My attempt at a minimalist look was trumped by my propensity to hoard coral lol!

Still in grow out mode:D

Minimalist??? Yeah right... :lol: sps frags galore. Most of us with sps don't have to willpower to say no to the latest sps temptation or new frags. :D. We hoard. :D

Back