SPS Aquascape......please critique!

rovster

Hi all. I was hoping for some constructive criticism on my aquascape. I was working on it today, and I was hoping for some feedback and suggestions. Tanks is a custom Reef Savvy, 52" x 26" x 19" tall. The table the rocks are on is slightly smaller than that footprint. My goals for the aquascape:
  1. Semi-open feel with some open sand areas. I would call it quasi-minimal but I know myself and my coral hoarding potential, so I wanted maximum area to mount corals. That said, I wanted to avoid the pile of rocks look.
  2. Relatively low hard scape to allow branching corals to grow upwards and fill out the tank. The left bommie is 9" tall and the right bommie is 8" tall. I was planning on mounting some stags at the pinnacle of each bommie, and keep the tabling variety towards the bottom.
  3. Have some ledges around the perimeter of the bommie s to provide shade for LPS and zoas.
  4. Shallow slope to maximize mounting potential.
  5. Lots of nooks and crannies for the ton of fish I want, LOL,

I really like the openness of the right side, my concerns with the left is its pretty densely packed, and I'm concerned with stagnant areas within the rockwork.

Here are the pics.....

I have a ton more pieces of rock, all Pukani and more shelf pieces. So I can change if you guys give me some good suggestions. Lighting will be 3 Radion pros, and flow will be 3 MP40s in addition to the return.

Here is the tank...(the third mp40 is mouthed on the right side of the tank)

Last edited:
I'm jealous of the room you have to work with. Also like what you've got going so far. I'm not the biggest fan of tonga branch pieces, so if I were you I would remove those and possibly the big shelf piece on the left side. I really like it now, but that's just my suggestion.

I'm constantly on a search for the best aquascaping. It's tricky in my tank, but I've found that the aquascape is important, but having the corals grown out is the most important thing of all. I like the fact that you have low and open rock work so that when you have large colonies there will still be a nice flow to things. Keep up the good work and please start a build thread if you haven't!

Looks alright for a reef flat/mix type setup...

Here a positive suggestion, use the Law of the thirds...

Meaning, Create three distinct separate structures, the first (either side) being the tallest/branchy, whatever you create, the second in the middle being the smallest and the third (remaining side) have a height somewhere in between...

This creates a visually appealing reef column layout.

Also, I would bond the two tonga branch peices and use that in the middle.
Note that this suggestion does NOT apply to the law of the thirds. It does however create an interesting display! :)

Hope this helps! Above all have fun with it and post pictures of new layouts!!! NICE TANK!:wave:

Yeah, making water now. Filling the tank tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments so far. Anyone see any problems with the left side in terms of detritus traps? As far as what I envision. I wanted the left side to me massive because that's where the overflow is. I imagine a large stag or 2 at the center peak, and a large branching hammer or birdsnest in the back left corner. The right side I was going for a less dense look and possibly some tabling pieces or monti caps to fill in the lower back right. In the right front I may do a third small island, or a clam, ad I'm still debating a nem...

Keep the ideas coming.

Feel free to post pics, especially how you'd stack the branch rock.

I like where your going with things, see potential for sure! I agree with what Dartolution said with the law of thirds, but I see what your ideas are. It's very hard to try and give suggestions as I see them in my head very well but need to be hands on haha

My first thoughts are at the shelf on the left looks out of place. Just to see things, I would move that flat piece to the right side scape where the tonga is, and swap the tonga branch ofer to the left, bridging over from the far left rock to far right rock of that left scape.

SPS Aquascape......please critique!

Looking at it more it seems like removing the big flat piece on the left island would make a drastic difference. And a third island would be awesome! The more islands the merrier, really gives nice depth to your awesome tank.

I'd rate your current aquascape as average.
I like the two islands and the channel and think you should stick to that.
I don't like the different kinds of rocks and how they mix in an unnatural way.

The left flat piece on top, the branches out and another flat piece there instead is an idea.

If nothings seems to work you could make 10 structures and post for comments.

The stand matches the furniture to its right, the small wall extension creates the separation to the next room where the tank is located.

I don't like how it the aquascaping looks though, that flat piece on top takes away from the design. Use that piece as a bridge between 2 rock structures and stand the tonga pieces up by the overflow.

Tbh i like it:eek:
I'd only remove the plate and the branches.
I also think that,no matter how much you plan it outside tha tank you will surely make some adjustments when you put it in the tank(at least that happened to me every single time :headwally:)
Keep us updated;)

The only thing i'd remove 100% and put it in my house though,is that big tv rovster:beer::p

Thanks everyone. It seems the consensus is to remove the flat piece. I had bought a bunch of rock to give me flexibility with the aquascaping, but in no way am I committed to using it all. I kinda like the tonga. I know it looks off now, but once it's covered in coraline, it gives the scape a "pile of rubble" look in a good way. That shelf piece I agree is kinda odd. Reason I put it there is I have a similar shelf in my 30 gallon that kinda works. That said, I appreciate the input and will likely axe the shelf for some more Pukani.

Here is my 30 gallon that will slowly be transitioned. I plan on using some of the rock here and possibly exchange some pieces. There is a shelf piece in the middle. You can't see it because its covered in frags, LOL.

I like the rocks that you have try to show case the beautiful shape of your rocks pukani'$ are really nice ..you can make acrylic rod platforms so the flat rocks doesn't look like its just laying there..you can also make the tonga look like its holding up the shelf pieces just my suggestion ..looking great so far

Here is where I'm at. I'm very happy with it. I do want to grow out some nice stags so I left everything low. I also backed off the amount if rock, with the intention of adding a little more from my current tank. I also may add a third small island on the front right. All the rocks are on the glass, and I filled in sand around it. I underestimated how much the sand shortened everything....

Back